Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Very Unexperienced User Needs Help writing to external HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1

    Very Unexperienced User Needs Help writing to external HDD

    Hi guys,
    Sorry, I am a very unexperinced user to Knoppix. My Laptop hard drive has had a software failure and as such Windows wont boot. I tried repairing it but that hasn't worked. I used Knoppix to try and back up from my hard drive (it worked as I could use and view everything on it) but I plugged in my External hard drive (NTFS if that helps) but every time I tried to allow read/write rights to it, it wouldn't let me.Im afraid I can't remeber the error message! It was something like it is being used by another process and when I opened it up normaly, it forced it to open. Sorry im so vauge! I have now sent it to the manufacturer but they have offered to send the old hard drive back with my data on. Can anybody advise me on what I can do to copy the data back onto the external hard drive?
    Many Thanks
    James

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Very Unexperienced User Needs Help writing to external H

    Quote Originally Posted by Toastedkl
    (NTFS if that helps)
    No, it doesn't help at all, it hurts. The common belief is that Knoppix can't safely write to NTFS and that it will corrupt the partition if you do. There are some people who think that maybe the newest vesrion of Knoppix might be able to write to NTFs, but even most of them will warn you not to try it with any data that you care about. You would be much better off trying any of the suggestions in the rescue faq, such as backing up across the network, writing to CDs, or simply backing up to FAT partitions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12

    Re: Very Unexperienced User Needs Help writing to external H

    [quote="Harry Kuhman"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastedkl
    (NTFS if that helps)
    I have tried the latest version of fuse & ntfs-3g in Fedora Core 6 and I can read/write to my hard disks NTFS partitions without any probems. I have yet to try it on Knoppix. Maybe I will try it out tonight.

    Cheers!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12
    By the way, I've just read from "http://www.knoppix.net/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=26784" that the latest version, Knoppix 5.1, is already pre-installed with ntfs-3g.

Similar Threads

  1. HELP! Problems mounting/writing to external HDD
    By fazzk in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
  2. help with writing onto external hard drive
    By desperateforhelp in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 01:58 AM
  3. Writing to hard disk (and USB device) from KDE - New User
    By saorstat_eireann in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 08:22 AM
  4. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  5. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$739.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00