-
black screen at x
Hi guys, I humbly request a little help please...
I downloaded the latest version of knoppix and successfully created a cd image, however I am experiencing the same problems as a few others, in that I get two penguins at boot, then a long list of hardware detections, and finally a black screen when the x session starts.
I am using a Pentium 4 Hyperthread cpu (not dual-core) running at around 3GHz and I have 1Gb of DDR2 ram. I am using an nvidia GeForce 7300 GS graphics card. All of this seems to be correctly identified at initial boot time.
When trying to start the x session, I noticed that the monitor was immediately going out of frequency even though the detection had the monitor frequency correct, so I used the 'knoppix screen=800x600 knoppix xvrefresh=60' switches and managed to get the monitor to stay in frequency but I still get a totally black screen with no x session. I could however successfully boot to level 2 using the 'knoppix 2' switch.
This is a similar problem to the following post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26729
I didn't want to hijack his post so I have posted seperately as a courtesy.
I did try and follow the advice given in the above-mentioned post but I am only using a boot cd, not a usb pen, and I have no idea how to export the pci.txt and xorg.conf file to my regular hard drive for access in normal windows mode so that I can post them here (sorry guys, I am a total newbie to Linux and have limited or no knowledge of linux commands...)
Please forgive my obvious lack of experience here, this is my very first attempt at trying to boot any form of linux and I am itching to try it, if only I could get past the black screen.
Thanks guys (and gals...)
-
Similar Threads
-
By preet in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-14-2007, 04:54 AM
-
By cassiosteel in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-30-2006, 10:13 PM
-
By RaMireZ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-13-2006, 07:12 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-24-2003, 06:00 AM
-
By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW
$49.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black
$500.00

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra
$20.99

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung T7 Shield 1tb, Up To 1050mb/s, Usb 3.2 Gen2, Rugged, Ip65 Rated, For
$187.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00