WellI figured that one out.
I used the xmodule=vesa and the fb1024x768 options at boot time. I got a screen refresh rate of 76hz(?) but at least it works.
Now all I gotta do is get a driver for my onboard nforce lan card and I'll b ea happy bunny.![]()
![]()
Hi guys, I humbly request a little help please...
I downloaded the latest version of knoppix and successfully created a cd image, however I am experiencing the same problems as a few others, in that I get two penguins at boot, then a long list of hardware detections, and finally a black screen when the x session starts.
I am using a Pentium 4 Hyperthread cpu (not dual-core) running at around 3GHz and I have 1Gb of DDR2 ram. I am using an nvidia GeForce 7300 GS graphics card. All of this seems to be correctly identified at initial boot time.
When trying to start the x session, I noticed that the monitor was immediately going out of frequency even though the detection had the monitor frequency correct, so I used the 'knoppix screen=800x600 knoppix xvrefresh=60' switches and managed to get the monitor to stay in frequency but I still get a totally black screen with no x session. I could however successfully boot to level 2 using the 'knoppix 2' switch.
This is a similar problem to the following post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26729
I didn't want to hijack his post so I have posted seperately as a courtesy.
I did try and follow the advice given in the above-mentioned post but I am only using a boot cd, not a usb pen, and I have no idea how to export the pci.txt and xorg.conf file to my regular hard drive for access in normal windows mode so that I can post them here (sorry guys, I am a total newbie to Linux and have limited or no knowledge of linux commands...)
Please forgive my obvious lack of experience here, this is my very first attempt at trying to boot any form of linux and I am itching to try it, if only I could get past the black screen.
Thanks guys (and gals...)
WellI figured that one out.
I used the xmodule=vesa and the fb1024x768 options at boot time. I got a screen refresh rate of 76hz(?) but at least it works.
Now all I gotta do is get a driver for my onboard nforce lan card and I'll b ea happy bunny.![]()
![]()

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00
INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00