-
5.1.1 Network problem with Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 + workround
Booting the 5.1.1 live CD on a system built with this motherboard leaves eth1 (the ethernet interface) unusable
(eth0 is the firewire interface).
It looks like the pump daemon fails.
Workround
Wait for the startup to complete then enter the following commands
su
ifconfig eth1 up (as when pump fails it sets it to down)
ifconfig eth1 192.168.2.9 (or whatever the IP address of your system should be)
ifconfig mtu 1500 (as when pump fails it resets it to 64 !!!)
route add default gw 192.168.2.1 (or whatever the IP address of your router is)
The ethernet interface on this motherboard is a Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
-
Senior Member
registered user
... and I wondered if it was just me !
I also get the value MTU=64 running the Knoppix 5.1.1 live CD and DVD in my system where eth0 is a COMPAQ NC3120 (Intel 82557/8/9) Network Card.
This allows ping of the local network, but does not allow transfer of data with the Internet.
BTW for me this is not necessarily associated with failure of pump.
This seems to affect some cards but not others:
e.g.(1): Knoppix 5.1.1 2007-01-04 Live CD ISO-Image, running in VMPlayer (VM-simulated netcard) in the same PC, sets MTU=1500 (OK for Internet).
e.g.(2): Knoppix 5.1.1 2007-01-04 Live CD, running in another PC (Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ netcard), sets MTU=1500 (OK for Internet).
BTW I have found that 1500 is the maximum <value> that ifconfig eth<n> mtu <value> will accept.
I recently gave Feedback on this to Knoppix.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I had the same problem with a Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 socket 939 motherboard.
When I disabled all the Unneeded things in the BIOS , Gigabit ethernet started working !
I think it was the onboard sound , but I disabled the Serial & Parallel ports , the Floppy DD , firewire and sound , and Gigabit ethernet has been running ever since. Same thing happens with knoppix 4.x and 5.x
I now have four of these motherboards running Gigabit ethernet with an AMD 64 X2 3800+ , and Opterons 165 , 170 and a 175
I'm a Folding@Home Hobbyist
-
Senior Member
registered user
And, I think youe just provided a soultion to a problem I had earlier today. Knoppix 5.0 live Cd could not initiate a connection to the internet on a friends computer. Network was a Realtek 8139 built into a Compaq machine, network was identified as eth1, eth0 (probably firewire).
Knoppix found the interface and default gateway and /etc/resol.conf was correctly set. I could ping the router, and ping a wan address (google) but could not browse. I bet the MTU value was incorrectly set, but I didnt have time to check this.
Similar Threads
-
By dh100 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM
-
By muzicman82 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-06-2005, 01:08 AM
-
By alexi02 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-04-2003, 05:43 AM
-
By greenbridge in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-24-2003, 05:29 AM
-
By gill1109 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Samsung 16GB (2x8GB) DDR5 4800MHz PC5-4800B Laptop RAM SODIMM
$250.00

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC
$150.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99