Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't start KDE from CHROOT environment as knoppix user

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    2

    Can't start KDE from CHROOT environment as knoppix user

    Hi all,

    I've been using the remastering howto to successfully create a remastered ISO. However, there are some further changes I'd like to make to the knoppix user's KDE environment.

    To try and do this, I have been following the instructions here.

    To start with, I assumed that these instructions were to be executed starting in the chroot'ed root-user shell, from within the knoppix build environment, but when I tried switching to run level 2 using the 'init 2' command, I get a permissions error.

    In order to try and work round this, I came out of the chroot environment, took the whole system to 'init 2', and then chrooted again. As root I could now start kde, but when switching to the knoppix user I get a load of errors when running startx.

    Does anyone have any advice on what I might be doing wrong? Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!!

    Cheers,
    MrP.

    PS - I'm using Knoppix v5.1.1[/url]

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7
    hi

    there's an alternative solution to ur problem. Instead of switching to init 2 u can start xserver on different console.
    what u can do is: -
    > skip the init 2 step
    > before switching to user knoppix do the follwing: -

    1> change the permission of /tmp: chmod 777 /tmp
    2> export DISPLAY=localhost:1
    3>vi /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
    Change the line:
    allowed_users=console
    to:
    allowed_users=anybody

    > su knoppix
    > startx /usr/bin/startkde --:1

    if u do not change the permissions of /tmp when starting as knoppix user u'll get error of permission denied.

    this worked for me.

    regards
    -boski

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    2
    That's worked perfectly - thanks very much!

    MrP

Similar Threads

  1. working in the chroot environment
    By abby in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2006, 03:13 PM
  2. How to Use Sessions , in Multi User Environment.
    By your_raj in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:02 PM
  3. KDM Start Error In Chroot Knoppix 3.7 HELP!
    By winslayer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 01:31 AM
  4. cann't start kde as user
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 10:49 PM
  5. Change user and desktop environment
    By Nomad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 07:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21