-
Can't start KDE from CHROOT environment as knoppix user
Hi all,
I've been using the remastering howto to successfully create a remastered ISO. However, there are some further changes I'd like to make to the knoppix user's KDE environment.
To try and do this, I have been following the instructions here.
To start with, I assumed that these instructions were to be executed starting in the chroot'ed root-user shell, from within the knoppix build environment, but when I tried switching to run level 2 using the 'init 2' command, I get a permissions error.
In order to try and work round this, I came out of the chroot environment, took the whole system to 'init 2', and then chrooted again. As root I could now start kde, but when switching to the knoppix user I get a load of errors when running startx.
Does anyone have any advice on what I might be doing wrong? Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!!
Cheers,
MrP.
PS - I'm using Knoppix v5.1.1[/url]
-
hi
there's an alternative solution to ur problem. Instead of switching to init 2 u can start xserver on different console.
what u can do is: -
> skip the init 2 step
> before switching to user knoppix do the follwing: -
1> change the permission of /tmp: chmod 777 /tmp
2> export DISPLAY=localhost:1
3>vi /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
Change the line:
allowed_users=console
to:
allowed_users=anybody
> su knoppix
> startx /usr/bin/startkde --:1
if u do not change the permissions of /tmp when starting as knoppix user u'll get error of permission denied.
this worked for me.
regards
-boski
-
That's worked perfectly - thanks very much!
MrP
Similar Threads
-
By abby in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-18-2006, 03:13 PM
-
By your_raj in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:02 PM
-
By winslayer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-24-2004, 01:31 AM
-
By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-05-2004, 10:49 PM
-
By Nomad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-10-2003, 07:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple IIe Computer Model A2S2064 Main Unit - For Parts / Repair - AS IS
$99.00

7 Vintage Microsoft Software CDs Lot Windows XP Home 2000 95 Works PC
$35.98

Vintage computer AMD K6-2 300 MHz 96 MB ram No HDD/No OS
$79.99

Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System
$1499.99

Vintage 1986 PC/XT Card Lot: Epson MRS-MO MDA Video Card & YK750107 Floppy Contr
$125.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

COOLER MASTER AERO 7 LITE CPU HEATSINK SOCKET A 370 462 VINTAGE NEW AMD INTEL
$89.95

Lot of 2 Vintage IBM ThinkPad 755CX Pentium 75MHz 40MB RAM 810MB HDD Win95
$589.99

Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 AU8830 PCI Sound Card Vintage Untested Parts Repair
$167.00

Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ
$988.88