IIRC it's been a while there's not enough room on a CD to accomodate KDE & GNOME (not to mention OOo). On my 5.0 DVD, "desktop=gnome" still works as a cheatcode. I know that's one year old, but I have only bothered downloading CD's since then.
I used to be able to get Knoppix live CDs to boot into Gnome. I've tried everything I can think of to get the live DVD of 5.1 to do it, and failed. (Booting to knoppix desktop=beryl fails because my hardware won't handle it. Gnoppix seems to be long defunct.)
One of my chief hopes for this present use is to figure out a hardware problem (I don't speak hardware; but I might find info that would enable somebody to help me); and I'm one of those unfortunates whose teeth KDE sets on edge. If I can get to a GUI I can find my way around in, I might manage to stumble onto something.
Did I miss something in the FAQ or the cheatcodes? Or am I just out of luck?[/code]
IIRC it's been a while there's not enough room on a CD to accomodate KDE & GNOME (not to mention OOo). On my 5.0 DVD, "desktop=gnome" still works as a cheatcode. I know that's one year old, but I have only bothered downloading CD's since then.
5.1 gave me a pretty picture, with a little terminal and tiny font in one corner, into which I suppose I could have typed commands other than "startx" (which failed) or "shutdown -r now" (in order to get to a place to try some other boot) -- but that didn't help. Neither did "knoppix boot=beryl" : apparently the old P2 I wanted to fix doesn't have the oomph for beryl.
I ended up wiping one (of two) hard drives with DBAN -- the one I had already spoiled by trying to install Ubuntu on it and not both. Then I installed Fedora 6 again. That went through four CDs and most of the fifth -- and hung, with (supposedly) fifteen minutes left to go. (I'm guessing that it actually installs its boot sector last, and didn't find the place to do it.)
Now I'm wiping both disks with Dban, and will try again in a few hours.
But what I really want is Gnoppix or something like it -- and the download site I found for it declares it defunct. It seems very strange that somebody hasn't devised another fork in its place : Knoppix with Gnome instead of KDE. It's not as if Gnome were some unheard-of GUI; but if there *is* a Gnome fork off Knoppix, I sure can't find it.

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 32GB No GPU/ HDD/ OS DISCOUNTED
$363.94
Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00