Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing New Programs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20

    Installing New Programs

    There's a good personal information management program (PIM) called Kontact on Knoppix 3.9 and I would like to bring this program into Knoppix 5.1 I looked in the resource directory of available programs on Knoppix 5.1 and Kontact is no where to be found... Can someone give some advice on how to install this program form 3.9 to 5.1...

    or does the DVD version of Knoppix include Kontact or Korganizer...

    Any advice will be much appreciated...

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You might own a laptop, but this question seems completely unrelated to laptops. It will be moved out of the Laptop forum. Since you are asking about installing other software I'm going to guess you've decided that installing Knoppix is a good idea, so the post will be moved to the HDD install forum.

    There are package lists for both the CD and DVD on the mirror that will tell you what is included on each version of the current release.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    As root, issue the following:
    Code:
    apt-get install kontact
    to install Kontact


    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20
    Kontact is not found in the Knoppix 5.1 CD It's actually located on another version of Knoppix 3.9. I was wondering if I can copy it from one CD and install it in the other... it's just an idea.

    or Kontact can also be downloaded from the origiinal website as a tarball... I'm not sure what to do with it after the downloaded.

    http://kontact.kde.org/

    I could not open the downloaded file... I thought the file would open like a zip file...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    "... I was wondering if I can copy it from one CD ...."

    For a simple explanation ... it doesnt work that way

    Let apt do the work for ya ... or do you not have a internet connection when working with Knoppix?

    ' apt-get install kontact ' will download all needed files and install them automatically.

    unfortunally if you are running from the LiveCD you will probably have to do this every time you want to use it.... Nothing but remastering the CD and creating your own custom version will get around this... Creating a persistant home diectory might - But no promises

    According to the package list found at ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...ckages-dvd.txt ... Kontact is included on the DVD

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20
    I tried "apt-get inatall kontact" without success... this is the message I received :

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ su
    root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# apt-get install kontact
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Package kontact is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package kontact has no installation candidate

    I was hoping to save Kontact in the home persistant directory. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a DVD player. The DVD version of Knoppix seems to have everything...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20
    I was wondering... is it possible to create a persistent home directory to store configurations when running Knoppix entirely from ram. I heard if you have 1 gig of ram, you can operate Knoppix entirely from memory...

Similar Threads

  1. installing programs
    By newbie#7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 06:22 AM
  2. Installing programs....Help
    By MinoX in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:14 PM
  3. Help Installing Programs
    By Garibaldi in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 12:32 AM
  4. Installing Programs Help.
    By Prons in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:38 PM
  5. help with installing programs NOT with apt-get
    By cyKeMatica in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$278.99



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50