Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: no internet after chroot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3

    no internet after chroot

    Hey gang,
    I've been booting KNOPPIX 3.6 from a USB drive using a boot floppy for a little while now and want to update the packages on the original live CD. I'm using the traditional remaster tutorial found here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    following these directions exactly I come to a problem after I chroot to the mounted /knx/source/KNOPPIX directory. I type the command:
    Code:
    mount -t proc /dev/proc proc
    and get no errors or messages or anything like that. when I try to ping google (or any other site), however, I get
    Code:
    ping: unknown host google.com
    naturally, it's not hard to believe that apt-get update doesn't work either...

    any idea how to get the net working in my chroot environment?

    also, how would I change the apt-get source? I'm pretty sure this one is out of date.

    I would just update to 5.1.1 but I'm unaware of any ways to boot it from a USB using a floppy since the 2.6 kernel is too large to fit on a single disc

    thanks a bunch!
    kiley

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177

    Re: no internet after chroot

    Quote Originally Posted by kvbriggs
    ...following these directions exactly I come to a problem after I chroot to the mounted /knx/source/KNOPPIX directory. I type the command:
    Code:
    mount -t proc /dev/proc proc
    and get no errors or messages or anything like that. when I try to ping google (or any other site), however, I get
    Code:
    ping: unknown host google.com
    ...any idea how to get the net working in my chroot environment?
    After you did the command (corresponding to example)
    Code:
    cp /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf
    check that the nameserver address, that you know(?!) works in the live CD environment is in your source resolv.conf

    ...also, how would I change the apt-get source? I'm pretty sure this one is out of date...
    For Knoppix 3.6 I think the best bet would be to use the Debian Stable ("Sarge") repositories.

    Here are repositories from the /etc/apt/sources.list file I used with Knoppix 3.7 (you might want to change the mirrors depending where you are)
    Code:
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7
    hi

    what JonnyH had quoted will work.
    I had a curious problem /etc/resolv.conf was a symlink to /etc/dhcp/resolv.conf. Ping did not work. I removed the symlink and created a /etc/resolv.conf afresh and it worked. but Make sure that you restore the symlink once you are finished

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3
    thanks guys. I'm off to bed for now but I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I've been at this project quite a bit this past week and needed a day or so to start fresh. I'll let you know how it goes!

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21
    Perosnally, I did something different than

    cp /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf

    command which did not work for me because /mnt/hda1 was no longer mounted for me in the chroot enviroment. I just opened a new non-root shell, checked out the resolv.conf and next went back into the root shell with chroot active and mofied /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf.

    I'm not an expert at this, so don't take this idea as the golden solution.

Similar Threads

  1. The dreaded chroot !
    By exxfile in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 05:35 PM
  2. Chroot, KDE language?
    By maxmartin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
  3. chroot help
    By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
  4. X programs from chroot
    By rdmelin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:27 PM
  5. To chroot or not to chroot
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1000.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95