For the last 2 hours I have been trying to get beryl working on my system. I have finally solved the problem and I have no blurred font, a 3D cube and acceleration, but just one question, each time I start at a terminal I see the error:
No GLXFBConfig
* Beryl system compatibility check *
************************************************** ************
Detected xserver : NVIDIA
Checking Display :0.0 ...
Checking for XComposite extension : passed (v0.3)
Checking for XDamage extension : passed
Checking for RandR extension : passed
Checking for XSync extension : passed
Checking Screen 0 ...
Checking for GLX_SGIX_fbconfig : passed
Checking for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap : failed
No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
beryl: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, falling back on visinfo.
anc@orac:~$ beryl-manager
anc@orac:~$ ************************************************** ************
* Beryl system compatibility check *
************************************************** ************
Detected xserver : NVIDIA
Checking Display :0.0 ...
Checking for XComposite extension : passed (v0.3)
Checking for XDamage extension : passed
Checking for RandR extension : passed
Checking for XSync extension : passed
Checking Screen 0 ...
Checking for GLX_SGIX_fbconfig : passed
Checking for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap : failed
No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
beryl: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, falling back on visinfo.
Sending reload event...
Sending reload event...
Sending reload event...
I'm not sure what the error means or if I'm missing any features, but Beryl appears to work, my card is a Sparkle Geforce 5700 Ultra
root@orac:/home/anc# lspci -vv | grep nVidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV36.1 [GeForce FX 5700 Ultra] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
The Cure
I started beryl from a terminal, and the main problem each time was a garbled, display with distorte fonts and colours. Each time I could restart the x server with ctl-alt-backspace, to cut a long story short my xorg.conf was starting at 16bit colour depth. I changed the depth to 24 bit and now beryl works.
I will add an autorun entry for kde
This may help someone else, but thanks in advance for any views on the error message.

Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic ICs - Lot of 4 - SOLDER PULLS
$175.00
RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*
$299.99
Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX
$850.00
Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E
$139.99
Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk
$250.00
Tandy 1000 TX Personal Computer Vintage PC very clean untested no accessories
$199.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$164.95
Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000W Portable IBM PC-Compatible Computer
$275.00
Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System
$1499.99
Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99