This is a newbie question. Been using Windows XP for four years and now want to get a dual boot system going. Internal PC modem is Winmodem so instead I dug out my old Timedia FX0560SP external 56K modem and plugged it into the 25 pin serial port. Having looked through the posts here, I gather getting a Winmodem to work with Linux can be quite trying...!
When I tried to get online I kept getting told "Modem busy" when I tried to query it. Do I need to find and load up drivers for a 56K external modem, or would Knoppix 5.1.1 (DVD version) have my modem already configured at startup? I read on the web that Knoppix is very good at autoconfiguring everything at start up.... would it even load a suitable driver for an external serial modem?
If I need to configure it myself, could someone please tell me which menu to go into... I have searched all the preferences I can find without success.
Thanks. All I really want is to get online with Linux & Firefox so I can browse the internet without worrying about Windows/Microsoft viruses...

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99