Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Internet connection dies after a few minutes; need help

  1. #1

    Internet connection dies after a few minutes; need help

    I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 connected to a Verizon VX8300 cell phone via USB. The phone accesses the internet properly under Windows XP using VZAccess Manager.

    I am using Knoppix Live CD version 5.1.0 and have configured the Kppp dialer so that I can access the internet using
    /devttyACMO. I tried the other modem options but I could not connect to the internet at all with them.

    My problem is that the internet connection only works for about 2 minutes. Then I get the following message:

    "pppd daemon died unexpectedly. Exit status 15"

    I would appreciate any advice I can get that would help me understand my problem and hopefully suggestions to make whatever changes are needed to fix the problem.

    Thank you.
    Arthur

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    All I am willing to admit is that I have had a nasty problem like this before on dialup, which was a timeout problem with kppp.

    In your case, particularly as youre connecting via a mobile phone, its possible that you may need to alter the value of
    echo-lcp-requests or lcp-echo-failure in /etc/ppp/options, or if these are set, comments them out. This is one mechanism where the pppd daemon can terminate a connection. On my laptop (running Debian Etch) these alues are set to 30 and 4 respectively.

    However, I would suggest you look for clues in /var/log/messages and syslog.
    There are some obvious things to check first, there is no timeout in kppp, and that if your laptop has builtin wireless network, turn this off if possible, as it may interfere with the signal from your mobile.
    HTH

  3. #3
    Thank you for replying to my message.

    I will try the things you suggest.

    The process of getting the phone onto the internet using Linux has been difficult but also interesting.

    Thanks again.
    Arthur

  4. #4
    I followed you advice and have been able to solve the timeout problem.

    I had to set the edit echo-lcp to 0 and edit lcp-echo failure to 0. Then the timeout problem was solved.

    Thank you very much.

    Arthur

Similar Threads

  1. Connection to Internet
    By ladyarcher44 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 10:56 PM
  2. need help with my internet connection plz!
    By d_e_c_e in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
  3. Internet connection Help
    By compgeek in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
  4. No Internet connection
    By zombie3000 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 04:35 AM
  5. Internet Connection.
    By Sance in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517 picture

IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517

$1249.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99