-
Senior Member
registered user
Sound only works for root account under KDE
I've got a sarge install (modulo a few backports a/o testing packages). Works great since 2+ years. Recently I can't get sound to work with my regular account. The weird thing is i get half the KDE startup sound, then it's abruptly cut and no app is allowed to use the sound system (xmms, juk, kaffeine..). It works for root, though. A CLI cd player (workbone) works under both accounts, so the problem misght be kde/arts related. Does anyone have a suggestion?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have you tried using ALSA emulation ? I've not tried Debian Sarge but on Knoppix Im using ALSA emulation with KDE, both non kde apps and kde apps can use sound.
It may also be worth trying to stop and sound the sound daemon from a terminal, may show some useful output.
/etc/init.d/alsa reload or similar.
Hope that helps
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi Hal, i think I am using alsa already. I've got both alsa and alsa-utils under /etc/init.d, both of which seem to run alright at boot time. Alsamixer works from the command line. Everything was working under KDE up until a few weeks ago (I am not booting that particular install that often but would really like to keep it working). It still does, but for root only, which is really annoying.
-
Senior Member
registered user
This is definitely a KDE only problem, as if I use another window manager (e.g. windowmaker), sound works. xmms even works with the arts plugin...
-
Re: Sound only works for root account under KDE

Originally Posted by
kirol
I've got a sarge install (modulo a few backports a/o testing packages). Works great since 2+ years. Recently I can't get sound to work with my regular account. The weird thing is i get half the KDE startup sound, then it's abruptly cut and no app is allowed to use the sound system (xmms, juk, kaffeine..). It works for root, though. A CLI cd player (workbone) works under both accounts, so the problem misght be kde/arts related. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Try to move .kde directory to another directory, for example:
% cd
% mv .kde .kdeback
Now KDE will think it starts for the first time, and reinstall default configuration.
See if this works. If it does, the error is in the setup in your home directory.
Then, as step two, you could try to debug KDE configuration files and see if you can find error.
Hope this helps.
Marv
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
kirol
Hi Hal, i think I am using alsa already. I've got both alsa and alsa-utils under /etc/init.d, both of which seem to run alright at boot time. Alsamixer works from the command line. Everything was working under KDE up until a few weeks ago (I am not booting that particular install that often but would really like to keep it working). It still does, but for root only, which is really annoying.
Hi Kirol,
Sounds like your regular user is no longer a member of the group "audio"
As a normal user, type groups, at a terminal.
In the results do you see audio?
If not add user to group audio with
gpasswd - a user audio
Replace "user" with your normal knoppix user name
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
kirol
Hi Hal, i think I am using alsa already. I've got both alsa and alsa-utils under /etc/init.d, both of which seem to run alright at boot time. Alsamixer works from the command line. Everything was working under KDE up until a few weeks ago (I am not booting that particular install that often but would really like to keep it working). It still does, but for root only, which is really annoying.
Hi Kirol,
Sounds like your regular user is no longer a member of the group "audio"
As a normal user, type groups, at a terminal.
In the results do you see audio?
If not add user to group audio with
gpasswd - a user audio
Replace "user" with your normal knoppix user name
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
kirol
Hi Hal, i think I am using alsa already. I've got both alsa and alsa-utils under /etc/init.d, both of which seem to run alright at boot time. Alsamixer works from the command line. Everything was working under KDE up until a few weeks ago (I am not booting that particular install that often but would really like to keep it working). It still does, but for root only, which is really annoying.
Hi Kirol,
Sounds like your regular user is no longer a member of the group "audio"
As a normal user, type groups, at a terminal.
In the results do you see audio?
If not add user to group audio with
gpasswd - a user audio
Replace "user" with your normal knoppix user name
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
kirol
Hi Hal, i think I am using alsa already. I've got both alsa and alsa-utils under /etc/init.d, both of which seem to run alright at boot time. Alsamixer works from the command line. Everything was working under KDE up until a few weeks ago (I am not booting that particular install that often but would really like to keep it working). It still does, but for root only, which is really annoying.
Hi Kirol,
Sounds like your regular user is no longer a member of the group "audio"
As a normal user, type groups, at a terminal.
In the results do you see audio?
If not add user to group audio with
gpasswd - a user audio
Replace "user" with your normal knoppix user name
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks for the suggestions. More googling had actually revealed a known problem with KDE 3.2.2, namely that sometimes one has to disable the kmix setting "restore playing level at startup". That did the trick for me, although i have no idea what triggered the problem with no KDE update in ages. And yes Hal, I am member of the "audio" group as you anxiously aked
(just kidding, i know it can get hard to post at times). Cheers.
Similar Threads
-
By menthor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-15-2006, 01:33 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 11:42 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
-
By KnoppixDawg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-17-2004, 08:50 PM
-
By sgs9198 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$334.67