-
USB paritioning issues within Knoppix
Getting to the point, with two different USB keys (both 1GB), I can't get qtparted to format them.
There's no real consistant issue, it seems to differ quite often.
For instance, one time, I may start qtparted, and it will stop at the 'Getting Devices' menu. Another time, it will lock up when I clock on my USB key. Yet another time, it may lock up when I'm creating new partitions..
I have tried using fdisk, but to no avail. When I enter the (w)rite command, it returns Error 13: Permission Denied.
Ok, here's alittle background info:
I was asked to set up an internet cafe. I figured why buy hardware and software to run a Windows cafe, when there'll constantly be kids walking past messing with them. so Linux turned out to be the best option.
Currently, what I'm attempting to do is set up a very basic and slapped together O.S. as a temporary solution, until I get some more experiance and some time to learn.
So for now, a simple hd-install of Knoppix (knoppix, for it's out-of-the-box userinterface) on a 1GB USB key, on all the terminals.. That way, if something stuffs up, or someone gets into the root account and starts breaking things, a simple swap-out will fix it.
Later on, I'll be looking at a custom LiveUSB, with an easy to use windows'like interface, but with bare minimums, by way of applications and functionality. After all, it's an Internet Cafe. they don't need much. (Live enviroment, so that if anything goes wrong, a simple restart will fix it. this is because I won't be on-hand, and a 64 year old mechanic will be the only supervisor, so it needs to be *very* simple.)
I've also looked at a possiblity of setting up a single install to a server, and using shell scripts to access what is needed. This idea sounds pretty good, but I've not got the time to learn how to do this right now.
So here's the questions. Why are none of my USB drives formatting?
Is there some other way to format a swap and ext3 partition? Maybe a windows-based application?
Could I just install to an old IDE HD, and use something like Ghost to copy it over?
Is there some other distro that would be easier and simpler to use, for the setup I discribed?
I know I've got a very steap learning curve ahead of me, but hey, I might as well start as soon as I can.
Similar Threads
-
By rvijay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-15-2008, 07:13 AM
-
By rootsuperuser in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-16-2005, 11:52 PM
-
By JesusFreak in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-02-2005, 11:43 PM
-
By squireofgothos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 01:30 AM
-
By kuser123 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 03:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R)
$60.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99