-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
darcykahle
... Who knows; the culprit may actually be one of the security patches instead of SP2. It is nice to hear that someone else has encountered a similar issue, though I am sorry that anyone has to experience it at all.
I saw in the FAQ a tip regarding this not recogizing the cd as bootable, which suggests using a floppy based boot manager to overcome this (it suggests that the issue is with the bios). I will try that out sometime, but I am certain that the cd should be viewable from within windows. It has an autorun file, after all.
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Is the CD no longer viewable under Windows? I didn't catch that from the first post, even after rereading it. Yea, the CD should be viewable under Windows, I don't know how they could make any change that would prevent that without making the change too obvious, or come up with any good reason why they would want to. It sure doesn't seem likely thay any update would keep the CD from booting, but then again it didn't seem likely that an update would stop a NIC from working that previously worked, even after the PC is completely powered down and then cold booted into Knoppix without running any windows code. If Microsoft malware can chane the NIC EEPROM to screw with Linux, then it's not out of the question that they would change the computer's BIOS to stop it from booting Linux. I'm not ready yet to say that is what happened, but I don't trust Microsoft enough to rule it out.
Are you sure the CD drive is still functional?
Do let us know if Smart Boot Manager helps, if it does it really puts suspicion on the BIOS being changed, although I don't really expect that.
I put any of the burned knoppix cds (present and past versions) into the laptop, and either the system becomes so busy processing the cd that the desktop becomes unresponsive (applications that are already running still work, but the desktop is not refreshed, and is too busy to even respond to mouse clicks), or comes back with an error message, which I identified in the first post. Other cds work fine, even burned cds in this laptop. I am certain that the cd drive is working. It might be that there is a "security concern" that the service patch introduced.
Similar Threads
-
By amrith100 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 07:03 PM
-
By tempestuous in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 10:50 AM
-
By litedrum in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 01:49 AM
-
By gyro in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-06-2004, 03:22 AM
-
By Sitting Bull in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 02:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00