Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Please - Need help with Linux kernel headers

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1

    Please - Need help with Linux kernel headers

    Hi.
    I'm new in Linux.

    I want to install Aircrack-ng on my laptop.
    The wireless card I have is Realink with rt61 chipset.

    I downloaded Knoppix and run it as live cd then I downloaded the rt2570 driver according to the instructions:
    http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=newbie_guide

    Problem is that when I try to compile the driver with "make" I receive error.

    I checked and it seems that I need the Linux kernel headers .
    Is it possible to install it with Knoppix live CD or must I install full Linux on my laptop ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Youll need the DVD release if you want to keep running in a LiveCD.... and even then it still may not compile when running "Live"

    otherwise you can install the CD version to your HD and upack and setup the kernel source-tree from ftp.kernel.org


    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by onemyndseye
    Youll need the DVD release if you want to keep running in a LiveCD....
    Does that mean the CD version cannot be extended with new packages, drivers, etc. that are only available as source?

    I have a similar problem installing the slmodemd driver for my winmodem (soon to be linmodem ). The pre-compiled version requires Glib 2.4 but Knoppix 5.1.1 has version 2.3.6. The installation notes indicate that for kernal 2.6 I have to download the full source tree not just the kernal headers.

    If the only way is a hard drive install, can I get away with a poor mans install? (tohd/fromhd)

    I was thinking before that maybe I could upgrade glib but after reading this thread it seems that would not be the best way to go, is that correct?

    Thanks,
    Walter

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    In theory it should with with poor mans install since you wouldnt be mounting a "Persistant Home" and changes to the unionfs would be written there..... but it doesnt always work out this way


    If you need to do alot of installing/compiling... either installing the LiveCD to your HD or going with a differnet distro of Linux would probably be your best bet (IMHO)


    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    ...since you wouldnt be mounting a "Persistant Home"...
    Ok, I don't understand that part... from the PMI faq I got the impression you set up both a persistant home and use tohd/fromhd together. Right now I'm only using the persistant home because I don't know if tohd will format the entire partition or simply create a directory. The faq is somewhat vague on that point.

    Also, I plan on using Knoppix to learn Linux and ultimately tackle the Linux From Scratch book. The most installing I need to do is to get hardware working correctly. I made a mistake in my last post: slmodemd is dependent on GLibc 2.4 not Glib. I found out this is the gcc C library and the current version used in debian is 2.3.6. Looks like I'll have to try compiling slmodem from source.

    Thanks for your help,
    Walter

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Do yourself a big favor and find a linux distro that supports your hardware out of the box. Trying to compile drivers that need different glibc versions, kernel headers and such from knoppix live cd is more of a pain than it's worth.

    The slmodem drivers were included in Kanotix www.kanotix.com , which is very similar to knoppix. Take a look at distrowatch for live cd's that are better suited to you needs.

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea..... except that I'm in the Philippines and Linux is damn hard to find here. On top of that it takes about a week to download a single CD so as the old phrase goes "beggers can't be choosers" This is why I want to build my own Linux from scratch; it's easier to download a single package at a time as opposed to a complete distro in one lump.

    Since it's live CD, if something goes terribly wrong all I have to do is reboot so I'm going to try building the slmodemd drivers. I'm not going to attempt to change/upgrade gcc the c lib or anything else that comes with Knoppix and will instead see if the driver can be compiled against glibc 2.3.6.

    Wish me luck!

    Walter

Similar Threads

  1. GHOST PACKAGE? LINUX-KERNEL-HEADERS-KNOPPIX
    By chris_startx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 03:56 PM
  2. Kernel Headers
    By ryanpq in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 01:22 PM
  3. Which Kernel headers in Knoppix 3.4?
    By Grendelsbane in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 07:32 PM
  4. Sanitized Kernel Headers?
    By debi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 06:28 PM
  5. kernel-headers. where are they?
    By sauvaget in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A

$119.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00