Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Incorrect monitor DPI adversely effects font size

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2

    Incorrect monitor DPI adversely effects font size

    First of all, I am using the Knoppix 5.0.1 live DVD at work when I work on the company's website, due to the software I primarily use (GIMP, Inkscape, etc.) not running reliably on my Windows 98 box. I have noticed that certain apps under KDE control the size of their fonts based on the monitor's DPI as reported by the X server. Unfortunately, if the DPI is not set correctly, this can lead to fonts being too large or too small. In my case, they're too small--almost unreadable. The application in my case is Mozilla Firefox. I have tried the many suggestions I have found all over the web for manually setting the monitor's DPI, but to no avail. It seems as though all of my manual configuration attempts are ignored by KDE, and my settings are stuck at 75 DPI, whereas my monitor should be at 96 DPI. I have tried:
    • added DisplaySize xxx xxx to xorg.conf under the Monitor section
      added Option "UseEdidDpi" "False" under the Device section
      added ServerArgsLocal=-dpi 96 -nolisten tcp to /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc

    I found the following web page particularly informative during my attempted customizations: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html

    Does anybody know how this can be done? The small fonts drive me nuts! I would rather not force Mozilla font sizes with .css files as some have done, since I don't believe that is the solution to the real problem, only a coverup. I have also read that some people with NVIDIA graphics cards have solved the problem by switching from the open source nv driver to NVIDIA's driver, but I don't see how this would be possible running from the live DVD. Since Gnome defaults to 96 DPI, I am currently running Knoppix with that desktop mode. In Gnome, the fonts are just the right size, but things aren't set up very well compared to the KDE profile (as is to be expected since Knoppix was designed to be run under KDE).

    Thanks for your time,
    -~Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Have a look at this post, this is your problem and its the apps that use gtk font sizes under kde, i.e. firefox, gimp etc

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=gtk+font

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the helpful info Hal8000,

    It seems the problem has been resolved in the 5.1.1 version of Knoppix (I had been using 5.0.1).

Similar Threads

  1. TTY font size
    By kpxlover in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
  2. Font size in Knoppix
    By csodabogar in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 11:59 AM
  3. Font Size Or Resolution
    By jlowell in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 11:00 PM
  4. Newbie TTY font size question
    By beecee in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 12:53 AM
  5. incorrect block size
    By grungy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 06:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$219.95



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99