-
PXE Knoppix over CIFS mania!
I have followed the configs from these pages:
http://knoppix.manty.net/
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/KNOPPIX_Terminal_Server
I have downloaded the custom Initrd that Manty has made for 5.1 and my configuration seems to follow the config on the second link to a T, except one place where there seems to be an error. (see below)
PXE is tested and working 100 percent with no issues - clients can boot from the network
My pxe client system is a P3 with 128 MB ram, generic Via system board, 3Com 3c905C network card. Everything seems okay, and it runs windows 2k and knoppix 5.1 fine.
After the client boots, it hits the PXE server fine, and then begins to load the linux kernel - The kernel seems to be required in a different place than the walk through says - for some reason, it must reside in the /tftpboot/hybrid/pxeboot directory, and NOT in the /tftpboot/hybrid/pxeboot/knoppix directory that the guide tells me.
When I boot without the 'linux' file there, it gives me an error that the kernel file doesn't exist. When I move the 'linux' file to /tftpboot/hybrid/pxeboot, it begins to boot the kernel okay, but after it does some hardware detection I get a couple errors:
Errors as follows:
kernel panic synching VFS - cannot mount root file system on unknown block (1,3)
(And then this error loops forever and locks the machine)
atkbd.c spurious ack on isa0060/seria0 - some program may be trying to access hardware directly.
Can anyone help? I've been fighting with this off and on for like 8 weeks, and it's the LAST piece I need for a big project I've been working on. I've been trying to track down some contact info for Manty to see if he could lend some advice, but so far have found nothing. His page has been updated in the last couple weeks or so though, so this isn't a dead project.
Alternatively, if someone could point out some PXE booting of DSL or Knoppix over CIFS info (It MUST be CIFS), that would be REALLY awsome.
Thanks in advance,
Jim
Similar Threads
-
By don999 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-24-2007, 02:25 AM
-
By gdijim in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$69.95

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99