Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I can boot to console but not to desktop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4

    I can boot to console but not to desktop

    Here is my problem.

    I can boot the DVD into console mode but when ever I try and boot using a desktop, it freezes. If I choose the KDE desktop, nothing happens just the mountains. If I use the GNOME desktop, it will load, then it will freezes. I will see video artifact.

    Here is my hardware configuration

    DVD ver 5.1.1

    Processor:
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+

    Motherboard:
    nForce 4 SLI Mainboard
    PN 133-K8-NF41-AX

    RAM:
    DDR PC 3200 2.5GB Total

    CD-ROM Drive:
    LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

    Sound Card:
    NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio

    Video Card:
    e-GeForce 7800 GT, 256 MB DDR3

    Monitor:
    Samsung Syncmaster 225BW connected by DVI


    Mouse:
    Logitech MX510 Optical Mouse

    Keyboard:
    Logitech generic keyboard

    Hope that's enough info.

    Thanks in advance
    Convergys2

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    As you can boot into the console, there are two files that will provide clues
    cd into /var/log

    then look at
    Xorg.0.log and also messages.

    Chances are its either a resolution, or colour depth or combination of the two that are causing the problem.
    You could try appending screen=1024x768 at the knoppix grub screen before booting, (press escape then e to edit the line, append the text and press b to boot)

    More "cheat codes" can be found on the wiki

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4
    Ok, so I tried that and still the same thing. I think it has something to do with the AGP and SLI. I paid close attention to the boot screen and noticed that at the very end just as it starts the xserver there is an error message. "Problem loading the AGP module" I did some further reading and NV has a new "driver" for Limn. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-9755.html

    I also stumbled across http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Asus_A6T if you read the GPU section, it has some stuff on it

    I cannot look at any log files because if I start in init 2 there is no error and if I start in init 5 well it freezes and I have no choice but to reboot.

    just as another note, a while back I tried to install SUN SOl 9 and ran into the same sort of problems.

    My question is, If I am using the live DVD, how can I incorporate this "driver" into the ram drive so I can startx? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    What does the modules-disk do?

    Just so you know, here is what I have done so far. This is all at the boot prompt

    knoppix vga=o
    knoppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapci noapm ( this will actually halt the boot so I cannot even get to the console)
    knoppix screen=1024x768
    testcd (tests fine)
    knoppix pci=biosirq
    knoppix xserver=xFree86
    knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
    knoppix xmodule=nv
    knoppix vga=0 debug -b failsafe debug -b 3

    I know that I am asking a lot of questions, but I have no doubt that someone out there has the answers for me.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4
    I have fixed the problem.

    I used the following cheat codes
    knoppix xmodule=vesa xvrefresh=60

    Thanks to everyone (hal8000) who helped me out on this issue.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by convergys2
    I have fixed the problem.

    I used the following cheat codes
    knoppix xmodule=vesa xvrefresh=60

    Thanks to everyone (hal8000) who helped me out on this issue.

    You're welcome. There are some really clever guys on this forum (not me), but you have to remember that knoppix is designed as a live boot disk. Having said that many choose a permanent HD install. Once installed you have a basic Debian system and many tips can also be learned from thr Debian forums. Hope that helps.

Similar Threads

  1. How I can boot Knoppix in console mode...
    By rioswill in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 08:49 PM
  2. exporting serial console at boot
    By Jordi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 11:59 AM
  3. Older computer--CD boot works fine, HDD boot means console o
    By Particle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 03:25 PM
  4. boot to console
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 12:59 AM
  5. How do you boot to console instead of GUI?
    By Bam in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50