Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Trouble booting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoke on Trent, UK
    Posts
    1

    Trouble booting

    Hi,

    I would appreciate some help. I am really new to using Linux but I want to get more into it and am getting increasingly tired of Microsoft.

    I have downloaded Knoppix. The ISO image is called "KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso". For some reason I am having trouble booting from the CD. Linux seems to start but then when it comes to load X windows it just displays a load of multi-coloured blocks on screen.

    I have had the same trouble trying to run "Ubuntu" and suspect it is something to do with my graphics card or the graphics mode?

    My brief hardware config:

    ASUS M2V MB
    AMD Athlon 64 dual core 4200+
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB)
    300GB SATA HDD

    Is there anything I can try? Does anyone know why it isn't working? As I have said I am really new to linux so if I need to change any config settings please explain how I do this.

    Any help would be really appreciated.

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If you're getting as far as loading the GUI them you likely made the CD properly; I'll assume that you checked the md5 sum and burnt the cd slowly.

    Does sound like a hardware support issue for that video card. Look at the cheat codes file that you downloaded and try to find something that helps. xmodule=vesa is where I would start. but you may find others that help too.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble Booting
    By achtunga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:32 PM
  2. trouble booting
    By njmetalmeister in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:26 PM
  3. Trouble Booting
    By Polo2883 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 12:01 AM
  4. trouble booting
    By hpljs1200 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
  5. trouble on booting
    By joinf in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$350.00



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold CT4390 ISA Sound Card - UNTESTED picture

Vintage Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold CT4390 ISA Sound Card - UNTESTED

$225.00



Lot of 4 Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic Gray Trace Chip - SOLDER PULLS   (BO) picture

Lot of 4 Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic Gray Trace Chip - SOLDER PULLS (BO)

$200.00



Vintage 1977  Cromemco 16KPR (16 KPR)  S-100  Computer Board picture

Vintage 1977 Cromemco 16KPR (16 KPR) S-100 Computer Board

$199.99



Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used picture

Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used

$19.99



Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ picture

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ

$179.99