Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Boot from USB - Save changes

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3

    Boot from USB - Save changes

    Hi everyone.

    Let me just say that I am very new to Linux so please forgive my ignorance.

    I have installed Knoppix (5.1 i think) to a 1GB USB flash drive using instructions I found on the wesbite http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510

    I can boot up no problem however, I would like to set it up to my liking and save the changes so that when I restart, it is exactly how I left it. Even if I use a different computer. I believe that if I click on Knoppix > Configuration > Save Configuration I am supposed to be able to save those changes to the USB drive. However, when I do this, it tells me that the drive (/dev/sda1 i think) is in use and I cannot do that.

    Is there a better way of achieving what I am trying to do? Basically, I want to use Linux from the USB drive on my laptop at work and my desktop at home and for any changes or documents to be saved and restored when I boot up.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Joe

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12

    Re: Boot from USB - Save changes

    Quote Originally Posted by joerv007
    Hi everyone.

    Let me just say that I am very new to Linux so please forgive my ignorance.

    I have installed Knoppix (5.1 i think) to a 1GB USB flash drive using instructions I found on the wesbite http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510

    I can boot up no problem however, I would like to set it up to my liking and save the changes so that when I restart, it is exactly how I left it.
    What you need to do is create a "Persistent Disk Image", this is one of the options under the main menu option "Knoppix". Once a persistent disk image is created, any changes you make will be saved there and the next time you reboot, Knoppix will ask you if you want to load this image. This image will be named "Knoppix.img".

    I hope this helps.

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3
    Thank for that. I tried that but I got the following message:

    The KNOPPIX configuration could not be saved:
    mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /media/sda1 busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is mounted on /cdrom

    Any suggestions?

    I think i will have to try and partition the flash drive and save the configuration to the other partition - or is there a better way?

    Cheers

    Joe

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by joerv007
    Thank for that. I tried that but I got the following message:

    The KNOPPIX configuration could not be saved:
    mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /media/sda1 busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is mounted on /cdrom
    I had a similar problem with my usb thumbdrive before. Maybe you can try this.

    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /cdrom -o remount,rw

    This will remount /cdrom in read/write mode.

    I hope this helps.

    Cheers!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for that.

    I tried it and it now allows me to create the image. I did that and restarted. When I restart, i have to agree to the image being used which is fine.

    However, I noticed that it is still going back to the original state. The only thing i am changing at the moment is the desktop picture. Each time i reboot, it is going back to being the original mountains.

    Am i doing anything wrong or am I asking too much of Knoppix?

    Cheers,

    Joe

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by joerv007
    Thanks for that.

    I tried it and it now allows me to create the image. I did that and restarted. When I restart, i have to agree to the image being used which is fine.
    During booting, when you are asked if you want to use the Knoppix image, that message box actually has 4 options, but the 3rd option is not selected i.e. it does not have an asterisk. You have to highlight that option and press the spacebar to have it selected. Then make sure you exit that message box by selecting "OK". The 3rd option tells Knoppix to load the system settings that you have made, like wallpapers, drivers, etc.

    Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. How to save settings?
    By Akkarin in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 01:42 AM
  2. Save boot options on USB pen drive?
    By ssustudent01 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:10 PM
  3. Save all configuration
    By Barata in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 02:29 AM
  4. How to save Knoppix on 780meg partition and boot from HD
    By nvgringo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 10:03 PM
  5. Run from FAT, save to FAT
    By magico in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00