-
Wireless
Alright decided to dual boot XP and knoppix hd install. Newbie to linux and all.
Anyway I'm trying to install my WG111 Netgear USB 2.0 on this 5.1.0 installation (2.6.19 version). I've read many tutorials and guides, including the install for prisma (a little too complex for me atm) so please don't flame me.
I installed the drivers from the Netgear site on windows, and grabbed the netwg111.inf and the wg111nd5.sys and put it in a local directory (/home/nefariouz/netgear). I used ndiswrapper to install the inf but it says "No new device is connected so maybe ndiswrapper isn't working with your card" or something to that effect.
ndiswrapper -l in the shell shows "netwg111 : invalid driver!" And I've tried removing it and reinstalling it, same results.
iwconfig shows "lo no wireless extensions"
network card configuration shows "no supported network cards found"
lsusb shows "Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0846:4240 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2) so OBVIOUSLY it is at least detected at least partially.
Pretty much at my wit's end seeing as that this Compaq Armada 1750 laptop is so old that it has no ethernet port. Which is mainly the reason why I wanted to take XP off of it as it runs poorly. I read in these forums that 5.1.0 is a little messed up. Should I revert to an earlier version? I mean I know I'm a linux noob, but without outside assistance and doing my own reasearch I don't think there is anything I missed, right?
Similar Threads
-
By dtzxdtzx1 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
-
By rpk073 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By sparticus in forum Laptops
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
-
By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$125.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50