-
ndiswrapper blacklist - howto with write-protected CD?
I am wanting to blacklist the bcm43xx driver, which requires a entry in the /etc/modprobe.conf file, as per the following instructions:
//////////////////////////////////
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...roubleshooting
When alternate (linux kernel) drivers are installed and if you would rather disable that and use ndiswrapper, you can do so by blacklisting the module. For example, if bcm43xx is the alternate driver, to disable it, add
blacklist bcm43xx
to module configuration file (typically /etc/modprobe.conf).
//////////////////////////////////
Without having to re-burn the entire Knoppix CD, how am I able to make changes such as this to files that are on the CD?
I am using the Knoppix v5.1.1 CD and I am seeking a solution similar to PATH in that you could change the search sequence for the file and have it look in another location first before looking in the default location, and in whatever directory it finds the file first, to use that file. I am seeking some sort of alias or redirection or search sequence. This would cause the application to look first in /dir1, then /dir2, then /etc, and if the file is found in dir2, use that file. Then I could specify that /dir2 is on a local hard drive.
This is just my first config file modification of which I assume there will be more and I just can't imagine having to re-burn the CD everytime a config file on the CD needs a modification.
I'm really hoping that I don't have to install the entire Knoppix CD to the hard drive.
Can anyone please help me with this or point me to some very simplistic documentation that can explain this to a newbie like me?
Thanks for your help.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: ndiswrapper blacklist - howto with write-protected CD?

Originally Posted by
longlostname
I am wanting to blacklist the bcm43xx driver, which requires a entry in the /etc/modprobe.conf file, as per the following instructions:
//////////////////////////////////
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...roubleshooting
When alternate (linux kernel) drivers are installed and if you would rather disable that and use ndiswrapper, you can do so by blacklisting the module. For example, if bcm43xx is the alternate driver, to disable it, add
blacklist bcm43xx
to module configuration file (typically /etc/modprobe.conf).
//////////////////////////////////
Without having to re-burn the entire Knoppix CD, how am I able to make changes such as this to files that are on the CD?
Since you are using a CD, you need a rewritable device like a usb thumbdrive to store your Knoppix settings. What you need to do is create a "Persistent Disk Image", this is one of the options under the main menu option "Knoppix". Once a persistent disk image is created, any changes you make will be saved there and the next time you reboot, Knoppix will ask you if you want to load this image. This image will be named Knoppix.img.
I hope this helps.
Cheers!
-
jae4my,
Thank you very much for your help! This has got me going. I appreciate it.
Similar Threads
-
By NullDevice in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
-
By hsbsitez in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-29-2005, 05:16 AM
-
By desposito in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-01-2003, 05:45 PM
-
By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-06-2003, 11:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 40 Cores Unlim CAL Retail License Authentic
$299.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99