Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: ndiswrapper blacklist - howto with write-protected CD?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    ndiswrapper blacklist - howto with write-protected CD?

    I am wanting to blacklist the bcm43xx driver, which requires a entry in the /etc/modprobe.conf file, as per the following instructions:

    //////////////////////////////////
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...roubleshooting
    When alternate (linux kernel) drivers are installed and if you would rather disable that and use ndiswrapper, you can do so by blacklisting the module. For example, if bcm43xx is the alternate driver, to disable it, add

    blacklist bcm43xx
    to module configuration file (typically /etc/modprobe.conf).
    //////////////////////////////////

    Without having to re-burn the entire Knoppix CD, how am I able to make changes such as this to files that are on the CD?
    I am using the Knoppix v5.1.1 CD and I am seeking a solution similar to PATH in that you could change the search sequence for the file and have it look in another location first before looking in the default location, and in whatever directory it finds the file first, to use that file. I am seeking some sort of alias or redirection or search sequence. This would cause the application to look first in /dir1, then /dir2, then /etc, and if the file is found in dir2, use that file. Then I could specify that /dir2 is on a local hard drive.

    This is just my first config file modification of which I assume there will be more and I just can't imagine having to re-burn the CD everytime a config file on the CD needs a modification.

    I'm really hoping that I don't have to install the entire Knoppix CD to the hard drive.

    Can anyone please help me with this or point me to some very simplistic documentation that can explain this to a newbie like me?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12

    Re: ndiswrapper blacklist - howto with write-protected CD?

    Quote Originally Posted by longlostname
    I am wanting to blacklist the bcm43xx driver, which requires a entry in the /etc/modprobe.conf file, as per the following instructions:

    //////////////////////////////////
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...roubleshooting
    When alternate (linux kernel) drivers are installed and if you would rather disable that and use ndiswrapper, you can do so by blacklisting the module. For example, if bcm43xx is the alternate driver, to disable it, add

    blacklist bcm43xx
    to module configuration file (typically /etc/modprobe.conf).
    //////////////////////////////////

    Without having to re-burn the entire Knoppix CD, how am I able to make changes such as this to files that are on the CD?
    Since you are using a CD, you need a rewritable device like a usb thumbdrive to store your Knoppix settings. What you need to do is create a "Persistent Disk Image", this is one of the options under the main menu option "Knoppix". Once a persistent disk image is created, any changes you make will be saved there and the next time you reboot, Knoppix will ask you if you want to load this image. This image will be named Knoppix.img.

    I hope this helps.

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    jae4my,

    Thank you very much for your help! This has got me going. I appreciate it.

Similar Threads

  1. Which files do have NTFS flag "write protected"
    By NullDevice in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
  2. blacklist old drivers
    By coogor in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
  3. Write-Protected
    By hsbsitez in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 05:16 AM
  4. HowTo write rewrite the MRB using knoppix?
    By desposito in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 05:45 PM
  5. Let us write one Knoppix-HowTo together
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 11:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$246.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot

$280.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00