-
HDD install of Knoppix with Beryl
Greets, my first post..
I'm looking at Linux with beryl as an alternative to a Vista future... Having tested Sabayon and Knoppix on an old PC (900 kHz AMD athlon, Radeon 9200) I find Knoppix is much much faster, Sabayon 3.26 was so slow as to be almost unusable, even without beryl.
I cannot get Knoppix 5.1.1 to install on the HDD with beryl AND my own user account with password.
The three options from knoppix-installer are:
1. Debian - this does not give me beryl
2. Beginner - also no beryl
3. Knoppix cd on hdd, i get beryl, but I cannot find a way to create my own account with password.
In each case i ran knoppix-installer from a livecd session with beryl enabled.
With option 3, i apt-get upgraded all packages, when I rebooted, I got a login screen, of course the knoppix account is password locked, and my own user created account would not start an x terminal, just dumped me back to the login.
I am currently working in option 2, i can see on the /boot/grub/menu.lst that desktop=beryl is included...
Code:
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.19 Default
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 rw ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce loglevel=0 desktop=beryl vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot
but beryl is not started on login (I had removed the 'quiet' keyword before 'desktop=beryl")
Any suggestions on the best way to proceed?
Thanks to all, Ben
Similar Threads
-
By poor_mans_knoppix in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-10-2007, 03:01 PM
-
By hal8000 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-09-2007, 12:53 PM
-
By Jamsh in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
-
By Jamsh in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
-
By pinoc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00