Quote Originally Posted by ben222b
..., then it always seems to get broken.

If I try to upgrade packages,...

I just don't have the patience for this. It's just too painful, the future is Vista after all.
What are you complaining about? This is a known problem with "installing" Knoppix, a Live CD, as opposed to installing a version of Linux intended for hard disk install. There are warnings all over this site about exactly this. You can certainly choose to say "I'm smart enough to work past all of the known problems and I will decide to do it, just as you might decide to put a Ford engine in a Toyota body. But to then complain, when you clearly should have installed a distro intended for hard disk such as Debian, and bad mouth Linux and say that crap OS from Bill Gates is the future, will not make you friends here. It will just make you look childish.