Quote Originally Posted by ben222b
I didn't 'look' for the warnings... Terribly sorry.

This sort of attitude really turns me off linux.

It's just not ready for the desktop, as I found out 5 years ago.

Thats your point of view, not everyone else's.

The first 6 months were hardest for me after that things were much easier.
If you just want to click around then MS is the best system for you.

You are right about Beryl though some applications ( Limewire) do not work with it, but synaptic works ok with beryl on my 5.1.1 install.
I just load beryl-manager on startup, and then invoke beryl from the beryl icon in the kde panel, with select window manager.

To start just beryl manager I create a symbolic link


ln -s /usr/bin/beryl-manager ~/.kde/Autostart

(as ordinary user).
This way I have control over Beryl and can start apps that work with, or dont work with Beryl.
Hope that helps.