Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Help .. I can not make changes to the XORG.CONF file

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2

    Help .. I can not make changes to the XORG.CONF file

    I have been trying to change the screen resolution in xorg.conf and I edit the file as root, but somehow after rebooting the xorg.conf file is unchanged and the the changes I made are not there.

    I i'm booting from a vmware hard drive.

    any clue what is going on here?

    I installed Knoppix 5.1.1 from the LiveCd to a vmware virtual hard drive. everyting works ok and changes done are kept after I reboot but the exception is this file XORG.CONF in the /etc/X11 directory that not matter what I change in it the next time I reboot the file is untouched, unchanged ... don't know why this is happening.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2
    this was making me nuts, somehow after doing and google'ing many things I finally fixed it!

    the one thing that fixed it was creating another menu item in grub login with a single-user mode and after editing the xorg.conf file this time didn't revert to the original and the changes done to this file were kept.

    what I was trying to accomplish was changing the screen resolution from 1024x768x18 to 1152x864x16

    so I'm a happy camper. Now to keep exploring .. chao

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Try these cheatcodes:

    screen=1152x864x16

    or

    nomkxorgconfig (Keeps xorg.conf from being regenerated on each boot)



    Take care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Similar Threads

  1. Xorg.conf always seems to get overwritten.
    By snarkyFish in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 01:01 AM
  2. xorg.conf resets
    By elightbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
  3. howto make only one file to boot ?
    By larrycow in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 10:23 PM
  4. how can i edit a "read only" file (/etc/*.conf)
    By t0rp3d0 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 09:48 PM
  5. you will need to edit the file "/etc/lilo.conf"
    By pat reen in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99