Hi all,
I've been trying to get iscsi to run on a knoppix installation that was installed to a hard drive (knoppix dvd version 5.1.1). My motivation is to create a cheap iscsi target now that Windows Vista has a built-in iscsi initiator in Administrative Tools.
I'm new to iscsi and I have my hard drive partitioned as one hard drive and then downloaded and installed iscsitarget-0.4.14.tar.gz . After unpacking, I installed it with this command:
make KRSC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/kernel/
and then the command:
make KRSC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.19.1/kernel/ install
The installation appeared to run correctly, with the exception that the ietd.conf file was not automatically placed in /ect/
I manually copied the file to /etc/ and configured it as such:
I set the Lun 0 Path to /mnt/iscsi because I manually created a the directory "iscsi" under /mnt/ ...Code:# Example iscsi target configuration # # Everything until the first target definition belongs # to the global configuration. # Right now this is only the user configuration used # during discovery sessions. "IncomingUser" specifies credentials the # initiator has to provide - several of these are supported. If mutual # CHAP shall be employed, "OutgoingUser" specifies the user/pass # combination the target will provide - only one is supported. # Leave them alone (keep them commented out) if you don't want to use # authentication for discovery sessions. iSNSServer 172.25.5.27 #iSNSAccessControl No #IncomingUser joe secret #OutgoingUser jack 12charsecret # Targets definitions start with "Target" and the target name. # The target name must be a globally unique name, the iSCSI # standard defines the "iSCSI Qualified Name" as follows: # # iqn.yyyy-mm.<reversed domain name>[:identifier] # # "yyyy-mm" is the date at which the domain is valid and the identifier # is freely selectable. For further details please check the iSCSI spec. Target iqn.2007-04.com.example:media2.disk1.domainnamecom # Users, who can access this target. The same rules as for discovery # users apply here. # Leave them alone if you don't want to use authentication. #IncomingUser joe secret #OutgoingUser jim 12charpasswd # Logical Unit definition # You must define one logical unit at least. # Block devices, regular files, LVM, and RAID can be offered # to the initiators as a block device. Lun 0 Path=/mnt/iscsi,Type=fileio # Alias name for this target Alias media2 # various iSCSI parameters # (not all are used right now, see also iSCSI spec for details) #MaxConnections 1 ...
Next I tried to run /etc/init.d/iscsi-target start , but it seems to have failed:
dmesg states:Code:root@media2:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/iscsi-target start Starting iSCSI enterprise target service: FATAL: Error inserting iscsi_trgt (/lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/iscsi/iscsi_trgt.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg) netlink fd : Connection refused failed.
Is my disk not configured correctly? Do I initially need to have a dedicated ext3 partition available as the block device?Code:iscsi_trgt: Unknown symbol generic_file_read iscsi_trgt: Unknown symbol generic_file_write
I've read elsewhere that iscsitarget-0.4.14.tar.gz does not work with kernel 2.6.19 here:
https://www.openfiler.com/community/...c.php?pid=2731
does anyone else have success making a knoppix hd install an iscsi target? And if so, can you provide detailed installation/ step by step instructions?
Thanks for any and all help.
JC

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M2 8-Core 16GB 512GB SCREEN ISSUE
$774.99
Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99
Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$177.21
High-Performance Ryzen 5 3400G CPU, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, Radeon Vega 11, AM4 Sock
$269.99