Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: install to dell x200 with firewire CD ROM?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2

    install to dell x200 with firewire CD ROM?

    I want to make a Knoppix boot disk so that I can rescue some files off my almost dead HD, which will no longer boot XP, but still runs (mostly). The X200 has no floppy or CD ROM, except for a firewire external. Has anyone tried this? I suppose I could use a memory stick, instead, maybe? Help?

    I'm a newbie to this; mea culpa if I'm asking the wrong question or am in the wrong place.

    Many thanks,
    C

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5
    I've used a USB floppy drive to boot before, but to be sure, check your BIOS to see if there's an option to boot from an external drive.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2
    Turns out my external was indeed in the boot string; the Knoppix CD worked just great and I got all the files I needed. What a lifesaver! Whew!

Similar Threads

  1. Install on external HDD by Firewire (IEEE1394)?
    By remhigh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 07:55 PM
  2. Trying to Install Knoppix 3.4 on a Dell Poweredge 1750
    By Elkabong in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 08:54 PM
  3. Post install questions (firewire hdd install)
    By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
  4. Dell 5100 install problems
    By BillS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 11:56 AM
  5. knx hd install firewire how?
    By jvdtorn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00