Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't get wired network card to work with Knoppix Help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1

    Can't get wired network card to work with Knoppix Help!

    Hi, thanks you any help you can offer on this problem. It's really driving me crazy.

    I was curious about Linux so I have tried several versions on my old laptop. Ubuntu doesn't recognize my PCMCIA slots so I tried Knoppix. I really like the desktop environment and it runs well on my crappy laptop but I can't get connected to the internet or anything with my PCMCIA WIRED card. Here is everything I know

    Laptop

    Toshiba Satellite 1555cds
    400mhz
    128 RAM

    Knoppix: KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso

    Network card:
    D-Link DFE-690TXD, claims to work with Linux on the back of the box

    When I boot Knoppix it says "PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr." There are no error messages or anything.

    If I open up a terminal in Knoppix and type "lspcmcia" I get this:

    Socket 0 bridge : [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:00:13.0)

    Socket 1 bridge : [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:00:13.1)

    Shouldn't it list my network card here?

    I'm VERY new to Linux.

    Thanks for any help you can offer, this is really frustrating for me because without the NIC I really can't use this laptop for anything at all.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1

    Cannot Access Modem?

    I am having a similar problem in that I cannot get access to my modem.
    It states something like "Cannot locate Modem",
    I have tried all the different settings.
    I am running Knoppix partly bacause my Windows XP has Crashed on it.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

    David

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58
    davidamayjr Good Day,
    I don't know if this helps, but for the modem you might go to www.linmodems.org and follow the link to download scanmodem.gz . If you can determine the chiptset you might be able to find drivers to use it under Linux. Unfortunately I struck out on mine...No drivers available yet. Good Luck.
    Capt. Cautious

Similar Threads

  1. Strange problem with network card (wired ethernet)
    By rolfhub in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 10:21 PM
  2. Knoppix V4 and wired card configuration
    By zillah in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 10:05 AM
  3. Network card wont work on boot
    By fweeee in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 08:54 AM
  4. PCMCIA wired network card problem
    By davidparis in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 01:26 PM
  5. Network card not work
    By lubos in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 07:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor picture

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

$399.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



Computer Board 4 Model B Quad Core 1.5GHz 2GB WiFi Bluetooth Ethernet picture

Computer Board 4 Model B Quad Core 1.5GHz 2GB WiFi Bluetooth Ethernet

$208.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 CPU 100-100001084WOF  New Sealed picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 CPU 100-100001084WOF New Sealed

$359.41