Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7

    Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot

    I was hoping I could find some help here. I am new to Knoppix and tried to create a dual boot with XP Pro. I have 2 hard drives. An 80Gb SATA with XP on it and a separate 20Gb IDE hard drive with Knoppix on it. I installed Knoppix to the root partition on the 20Gb, not the MBR. When I boot up I have to have a floppy in that has a copy of the MBR in order for it to boot. I am not sure how to get a boot loader option that works. I ended up adding a "Knopppix" option but when I choose it without the floppy in, I get an endless loop of "GRUB' on the screen. Like I said I am a Linux newbie, so any help would be great..........

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    OK, here's the help you asked for: Knoppix isa great live CD but a very poor choice for installing to hard disk, particularly for a new Linux user, Don't do it. Install something like Debian Etch instead.

    In fact, if you have not messed up your windows partitions (and I can't say for sure that you have or have not), and you remove the Knoppix partitions and install Debian Etch in it's place, the Debian installer should see that you have Windows on the disk too and create a dual boot configuration for you automatically.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    I have not messed up the windows partition because it is on a completely different hard drive. If I install Debian Etch instead, it should see windows even on a separate drive and give me a boot loader option?
    Thanks for the quick reply Harry Kuhman...

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Yup, it should check all of your drives and offer to set up Grub to boot all of the OSs that it finds. This is all just theory, of course, but that's what it's done for me.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Alright, I will try Debian Etch. Thanks for your help

Similar Threads

  1. grub boot loader read the boot file from a windows partition
    By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
  2. Dual Boot XP and Knoppix problem
    By jacko0 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 01:51 PM
  3. dual boot xp/knoppix problem
    By styven in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 08:49 AM
  4. Dual boot problem winxp/knoppix (GRUB)
    By hukdonfonix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. How can I boot Knoppix using windows boot loader?
    By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95