Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: NTFS, GRUB, NTLDR, not MBR, etc.,

  1. #1

    NTFS, GRUB, NTLDR, not MBR, etc.,

    Hi,

    I'm seeking a proper boot loader for my very specific purpose. and I'd like whether
    I can use Knoppix system. Can I get some information ?

    The preriquisite is as follows:

    It must be installed in NTFS file system, NOT MBR.
    It must not destroy MBR.
    It must be chain loaded from NTLDR. so It must have ability to recognize NTFS.
    I must load some Linux kernel in NTFS from the boot loader. (vmlinz + initrd.gz)

    Does your project fit my needs ? I try to use GRUB + NTFS patch, and put some related
    stuffs(stage1, stage2, ...) into C:\boot directory, edit c:\boot.ini to see grub.
    Tt works well for a while. but I found that it can not work well in some system,
    Panasonic CF-T2, for example. I'm very curious. because both machine use NTFS filesystem,
    one can work well, the other can't. I suspect that NTFS patch has some bug.

    Regards,

    - Sakamoto

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Grub on NTFS works but is kinda temperamental ! (eg does not always see files in subdirectories, etc-) OTOH, grub is mostly useful on machines which you reinstall often, or with a lot of operating systems, as its maintenance only implies editing a config file (menu.lst). If you want a simple dual boot, I suggest you install linux to its own partition, let lilo install to the start of that partiion (e.g. /dev/hda2, *not* mbr), then copy the initial sector of said partiion to your NTFS drive (via diskette, USB key, or ntfs3g support in latest knoppix), and plug it into boot.ini. As usual, google is your friend!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Australian outback
    Posts
    4
    Hello sakamoto motoharu,
    You should investigate Wingrub, (Grub for Windows) WINGRB0206.EXE from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos
    WinGrub web forums, http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=104188

    I have a hobby if trying out various bootloaders and I have WinGrub in one of my computers, it works fine for me. It seems to match your criteria.
    I had only one problem with it, I found I could not use it to boot a Linux installation with Grub when the other Grub it has to chainload uses the 'savedefault' command. As long as that command is commented out (disabled), Wingrub works very well, I have been using it for quite a while now.
    The documentatioin for WinGrub is a bit sketchy. I have made my own webpage about how I set up Wingrub, that might help you. Here is the link, http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p9.html

    If you are using Vista, EasyBCD would probably be better, http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

    Regards, Herman

Similar Threads

  1. Acer Recovery Partition - missing NTLDR
    By jdrnyc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
  2. trying to fix missing NTLDR problem
    By CaptainChunk in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 01:31 AM
  3. Missing NTLDR files no solutions work!
    By Mr.Joecat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
  4. Knoppix and missing NTLDR file?
    By Rey Flores in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 09:18 PM
  5. Boot Knoppix 3.3 from HDD using Grub for NTFS
    By sandricionut in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



PNY Optima SSD Series 240GB SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Drive picture

PNY Optima SSD Series 240GB SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00