Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Why knoppix doesn't load my imagefile automatically?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5

    Why knoppix doesn't load my imagefile automatically?

    First of all the image-script refers to the wrong cheat-code for loading images:
    However its not: home=/dev/[whatever]
    Or in my case: home=/dev/sda1

    It's: home=/media/sda1

    I've spent hours with testing and wondering... I don't know if there's someone here in charge, but when there's someone: Fix it! I was nearly at the point of throwing the towel! - I have a slight clue about linux but what does somebody without? - And it's absolutely unusual to use pathnames of the mounted devices. - I think the maintainer of the script thought the same way as I...


    But well, it's not over yet:


    Why do I have to check overwrite? How can I fix this?

    Thanks!


    Just for the protocol:
    KNOPPIX has found an image file ([...]). This image
    contains the components listet below, which can be activated
    seperately.
    If you do nothing, the image will be activated in 10 secons.

    [x] home Mount persistent Knoppix-Homedirectory
    [x] system Add as persistent, writable system area
    [ ] overwrite Overwrite/update stored system configuration
    [x] init Start INIT-botscripts (network, printer etc.)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    53
    I check and uncheck by pressing the space bar. But why would you want to overwirte your configuration. If you do not want to save your configuration, just dont use the persistent disk image. I save all my ohter data in a fat32 partition, and the disk image is only for holding configuration items. If I made an error, I just delete the image file and re-create it. If I want to test something, I make a copy of the file, then if it goes wrong, I just copy back from my backup.

    Neeraj

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5
    Hopefully I've understood you right...

    If I do not check overwrite my system configuration is also not updated: Read the Configuration-Box: overwrite Overwrite/update stored system configuration
    This means that no personal adjustments will be applied. No Programs installed, no apt-sources updated, KDE-Desktop shows Spitsbergen as background -> default Knoppix... - Maybe it's an bug that it works that way but I would also prefer that configuration-changes are applied automatically too like in a normal OS. I prefer using backups when I screw thing up instead of rebooting all the time to strip off the safeguard.

    Im not using the configuration-files: I thought this was integrated in the image (it seems that it is so, when you check overwrite ).

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    53
    All my configuration changes are automatically saved. I think checking that box would delete whatever you have and save a brand new configuration. That means your printers, application history, network drive mappings, desktop configuration changes would be reset and your old configuration lost.

    I really have not played around with it that much. I just accept the defaults and let it go. All changes that I make are saved without that checkbox.

    I would like it to load automatically instead of my having to click yes everytime. I would also like it to use my iso file to bootfrom as well as a deault or a short startup option so that I do not have to wait for the prompts to come up and then answer. I would like to boot up, go get my coffee and when I come back, everything is up and ready.

    Neeraj

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1
    mine for come reason doesn't wait 10 seconds

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by corester
    mine for come reason doesn't wait 10 seconds
    Thats right, if Knoppix finds the image automatically the configuration-utility waits 20 seconds. If you instruct the Knoppix kernel via cheat-code (boot-option) that he needs to load a image it waits only 10 seconds...

    This is a good sign that you can manipulate this with cheat-codes.

    However, thanks for the hint!! Awesome! I don't thought of it this way! -
    Good-Questions are a wonderful thing!

Similar Threads

  1. load a saved knoppix.sh file automatically
    By ncsuapex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 07:49 AM
  2. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  3. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  4. Shutting down knoppix automatically
    By TheSpider in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 05:00 AM
  5. pump -i eth0 load automatically
    By dimkal in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI

$259.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L390 13.3” Touchscreen Laptop Core i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 13.3” Touchscreen Laptop Core i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$199.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 CORE i7-10610U 1.80GHZ 256GB 16GB WCam WiFi W11 Cord picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 CORE i7-10610U 1.80GHZ 256GB 16GB WCam WiFi W11 Cord

$175.00



Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win11 Pro

$289.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$249.99