-
For the love of USB make my cablemodem work!
Ok, I'm a total newbie to linux, I found Knoppix and was seriously impressed by the distribution, and I started to get annoyed by the slow CD and not being able to install new apps, so I made a brand new partition and installed Knoppix in its new home.
The problem is 1) The USB modem is no longer recognized. I know it still looks roughly as before (eth0). I tried PPPOE but that didn't work, because even thought my laptop has a PCMCIA slot, it doesn't seem to get recognized automagically. So either solution would be fine for me, making the USB recognize and use the Webstar cable modem or the PCMCIA detect my 3COM card.
2) Sound was always a little problem, but not so much because I could use the knoppix sound configuration utility which got erased during the HD install. I have no clue where to turn to configure it, but I remember all the settings. So... where do I go?
3) Same with the mouse. Knoppix always detects the integrated PS/2 mouse, even thought I want to use a serial, external 3 button mouse. I tried using gpmmouseconfig (correctly spelled?), but to no avail. I had pointed it to /dev/ttyS0 and tried various protocols. Nothing worked.
I want to go back in Knoppix and use it as much as possible but without the internet, sound, and good control...
Similar Threads
-
By turbine in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2004, 05:50 AM
-
By dmpop in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 05:31 PM
-
By WonderAboutLinux in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 06:42 PM
-
By three eyes open in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 07:29 AM
-
By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 01:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple III / External 5 1/4" Floppy Disk Drive A3M0004 - Untested
$120.00

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage Computer Manuals and Disks - Windows 3.1, Epson, Quicken, and more
$101.99

Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010
$64.95

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Cerruti Image Messenger Bag Matte Crossbody Tech Portfolio Briefcase
$75.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72