Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: help using knoppix 3.2 to retrieve data from hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1

    help using knoppix 3.2 to retrieve data from hard drive

    My problem is that Knoppix isn't recognizing my HD partition(s)...

    The HD I'm trying to retrieve files from is/was formatted for XP. I get the blue screen when I try to turn it on. I first tried setting it as a slave on another PC but it only gives me access to some of the directories I need. I was hoping I could access the ones I want to using Knoppix. But as I said - when it boots up, there is no "Hard Disk Partition [hda1]" or "[sda1]" on the desktop. I know the HD isn't siezed, but could something have happened that it is just "gone" now?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Windows not infrequently will damage the mbr, which could cause this problem.

    However, you are using a very old version of Knoppix and you don't say what type of hard disk it is. But you hint that it might be SATA rather than normal IDE. If that's the case I would try a newer version. If it's an IDE drive them your version should be fine.

    To try to repair the MBR and recover lost partitions, look at the gpard and testdisk commands. Read the man page for each, enter man gpart or man testdisk at a command prompt.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to retrieve data for crippled XP
    By aqol45 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
  2. Please help.. USB Hard Drive .. need to recover data
    By Chris2222 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Knoppix for Data Recovery? Hard Drive Failure!
    By OpenIntro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
  5. help getting data off of a hard drive...
    By thebyrd in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00