Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: permissions accesssing new external hard drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4

    permissions accesssing new external hard drive

    We have just purchased an IDE ext drive, with a USB2 connection; using a live Knoppix CD, we have formatted the drive into two partitions, which are ext3 formatted; we have Knoppix installed with KDE as the desktop; the system will not let us copy files into the new hard drive, from Home;

    when I run "ls -l /media/sda2" I get "drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Apr 8 2007 lost+found"

    I guess I need to change this to "drwx------ 2 username username 16384 Apr 8 2007 lost+found"

    would this be correct? sorry to betray ignorance, but I obviously ran "ls -l " in a terminal; how do I cement the changes, if you agree to what I suggest above?

    PS I must also confess to earlier editing /etc/fstab on the /mediasda2 line from:

    "dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0" to


    "dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=username,gid=users 0 0"

    again, comments welcome: was this good, bad or indifferent to edit /etc/fstab as I did:

    and for username, I would enter our specific username when editing the file

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    If you have installed knoppix onto your hard drive then it is ok to modify the filesystem table.
    Change the line in /etc/fstab as follows:

    dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

    With ext3 it is not necessary to use uid and gid options, the file system will still be writeable.
    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4
    thanks;

    I had edited out my additions, so that /etc/fstab now reads as you suggest:

    still I cannot write to it; I rightclicked on its icon now; I am identified as username as owner now; (it was root!) and I changed the permissions to read and write; when I hover the mouse over the icon after this, is shows -rwxrwxrwx (which is strange? as it is not a file, but a directory??) and from the listings that appear if one hovers, the mouse is says at the bottom: writable; no (as do all the other hda and hdb listed on my desktop)

    when I try to drag and drop a file into the drive, having opened it in Konqueror, it says you cannot drop any items in a directory; you do not have write permission

  4. #4
    hi there. i'm running knoppix from my flash. It's great but i have the same problem. When i try to write something in /dev/sda i don't have permissions. For example i want to download some mp3s and save them and when i drag & drop the files in /dev/sda i got this message: You cannot drop any items in a directory in which you don't have permissions. I tried to umount/mount /dev/sda 1 but i can't cause it's busy. I think that's why i'm running knoppix from my flash and i don't have any HDD on my pc. I have just my little Flash (4GB).

    If someone could help me it would be really appreciatted.

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Hard Drive Permissions
    By Chaos5lw in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 05:13 PM
  2. Problems with hard drive access permissions
    By willkill69 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 10:05 PM
  3. Hard Drive Permissions
    By sonicspeedway in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 01:55 AM
  4. External Hard Drive question
    By Phatmonkey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 09:44 PM
  5. Maxtor External USB Hard drive
    By Breakout42 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98