Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Booting problem - with "undefined mode"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Booting problem - with "undefined mode"

    Hi guys

    I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that I'm trying to recover data from after the windows install went tits-up.

    Only I'm having a problem booting. I get the undefined mode passed with regards to the screen resolution. And if I try to boot the desktop is corrupt.

    I've searched the web and this forum and presently if I use:

    knoppix vga=normal screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60

    then I can get to the wallpaper of the desktop, with cursor but thats it. From there I can do nothing, i just sits there.

    I've also tried with xmodule=i810 but there's no difference with or without it.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    Never mind.

    Some how the bios was set to 'compatibility mode' which I think translates to run as slow as possible!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50
    I have a Dell D2400 too. Its video card must be incredibly eccentric because some "good" standard distros (Mandrake, Fedora) have awful problems with it. Try
    knoppix vga=771
    at the boot prompt, before it goes off and does its own thing.
    Any good?
    Fergus

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 6.0.1 CD and "Video Mode" problem
    By AzJazz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
  2. "You passed an undefined mode number"
    By ScottK in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 10:04 PM
  3. Booting problem: "hde: drive not ready for command"
    By MrBigTime in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 01:42 AM
  4. Graphic Problems - "You passed an undefined mode number
    By sunpascal in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:21 AM
  5. "Undefined mode" error
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor

$27.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



Intel Core i7-12700K 12th Gen Desktop Processor – LGA 1700 – Unlocked picture

Intel Core i7-12700K 12th Gen Desktop Processor – LGA 1700 – Unlocked

$280.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU picture

AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU

$169.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.00 GHz  Desktop CPU GRADE A CLEAN Working System. picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.00 GHz Desktop CPU GRADE A CLEAN Working System.

$78.36



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99