-
Adding Canon printer
I am trying to add a cannon BJC-240 printer it is unable to find the suggested driver message is as follows:-
"Either the driver does not exist or you do not have the correct previlage". I am in administrator mode.
Any suggestions please
-
You didn't say which version you have, but this may be the fix. I had this problem with knoppix 5.0. The problem was NOT permissions, but the driver list. Check the ESP drivers for a canon driver. Version 5.1 (the latest) dropped the ESP drivers, in line with earlier versions.
If you have 5.0, try the ESP drivers, and let me know if this helps.
-
Cannon printer
I am using Knoppix 5.1, it shows the driver list including Omni drivers, but error happens when I select the driver and click next. On a another note how do you start the CUPS print Server?
-
You wrote "Knoppix 5.1, it shows the driver list including Omni drivers, but error happens when I select the driver and click next. "
I checked my knoppix journal (I have found it pays to keep written or printed records of experiments, etc.) , and yes, the CUPS server must be (re)started.
K -> knoppix -> configure -> configure printers
Print Server -> Restart server
Version 5.1.0 dropped the ESP drivers, but that version featured the need to manually restart CUPS. Also, it introduced the error - 'unable to create temporary printer'. The only way I could resolve that was with the new version.
5.1.1 came out around January 7. That one fixed the printer problem, and is the latest to date. I know that 5.2 is in the pipeline, but I don't know when to expect it.
Give 5.1.1 a try and let me know if that fixes your problem, which sounds the same as mine.
-
The Knoppix version I am using is 5.1.8.1 site says it is the current!
I have tried what you suggested to start CUPS the error reported is "Unable to find a running CUPS server"
What next, yey nobody does any printing in the Linux world?
-
This is odd - go to http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
5.1.1, with a release date of jan 4, 2007 is the latest. I just did a google for 5.1.8.1 and knoppix, and I find SLAX 5.1.8.1, but not knoppix.
Does anyone else have any input on this?
-
You are right the version is KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso, I have managed to starts CUPS as follows
/usr/sbin/cupsd.
My printer is an old parallel printer (Canon BJC-240), CUPS does not allow me to add a parallel printer, what should I have to do to get this working under Knoppix or it too involved?
Similar Threads
-
By LAF in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2007, 12:15 AM
-
By ndb in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-08-2006, 07:45 PM
-
By samoguz in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-02-2006, 04:03 AM
-
By waterproof in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-24-2005, 08:26 PM
-
By K Behrens in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server E5-2698 V4 | No RAM | 2x 1600W PSU
$414.99

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed
$136.87

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95