That's just the way it is; the virtual machine has to be configured for its working environment, which is different to the chroot-ed environment where it was re-mastered.
I'm having a hard time getting vmware player to function correctly inside my remastered livecd, and I could really use some help.
I have it installed, and it is working, the problem is that I have to run vmware-config.pl every time the livecd has booted. I can only assume I've missed some important files or devices that are created by vmware-config.pl, but I really can't figure out what I'm missing.
That's just the way it is; the virtual machine has to be configured for its working environment, which is different to the chroot-ed environment where it was re-mastered.
Yes, this is of course true, but I did manage to get it working (with only a few network related problems left to solve atm) by booting knoppix, to get it to run the correct kernel and such, installing vmplayer and then copying the necessary files to the hard drive where the remastering data is stored.
Which is what I did the first time around, I just missed some files.
Nothing really changes in the knoppix system that would break vmplayer if it's installed this way, except for network problems (interface names changing for instance).
This doesn't answer the question, but I'm curious, have you (or anybody) been able to run windows 98/XP under a knoppix liveCD within vmware?
Yeah, there's no problem running any vmware machine when you run vmplayer under Knoppix.
As long as you have enough RAM.![]()
Has the issue to run vmware player in Knoppix been resolved ?
I would also be interested to create Knoppix iso with vmware player included, or get a existing working iso.
Thanks, Wolfgang
The VMware license does not permit this kind of redistribution. If a link to such an ISO were posted here it would likely be quickly deleted. You are free, of course, to install VMware to your own Linux system, and even remaster Knoppix with VMware if that's what you want to do, as long as you don't then redistribute it.Originally Posted by wolfgang123usa
While I use and like very much VMware, I would be very glad to see a version of virtual machine technology (perhaps XEN) included in Knoppix. It would give many of us a simple way to play with one of the alternatives, and would give many users their first experience with virtual machines. If someone does want to remaster Knoppix to include virtual machine technology, I certainly hope that they do it with legal freely redistributable code, and not licensed code that VMware makes available but has redistribution restrictions on it.
I did not want to ask for a elegal distribution of iso. As there have been problems been reported to create yourself a re-mastered Knoppix iso, I am interested what have been the steps to solve this configuration issue for re-mastering. The best solution would be to make/get a Knoppix iso with all config files for vmware and no vmware included, to avoid licensing issues, but a included script to download vmware and install it with the provided config files on iso when Knoppix is running. This kind of iso version should be also able to be distributed without violating distribution rights, same as flash is not included in firefox, but will be automatically downloaded when needed in some distributions.
Any help appreciated to sort out the config issues for vmware to create a re-mastered iso.
Thanks, Wolfgang

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98