Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: how do I find host names on my lan?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    how do I find host names on my lan?

    I know this is a simple minded question for all of you wizards; Harry be merciful I bruise easily. I know I can determine the ip addresses of all of the machines on my lan by using the nmap command. But once I have the ip addresses then how do I find the corresponding hostnames? What command should I use?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Theres probably more than one way to do this but from a terminal just use
    hostname

    this will return the hostname. If you installed knoppix then you will have set a hostname during installation.


    If you have remote machines, just telnet into each machine and again use hostname.

Similar Threads

  1. swedish symbols in folder names
    By roffa in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 10:19 PM
  2. Cannot resolve workgroup names
    By colinmgb in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 05:23 PM
  3. Can't see folders with cyrilic names
    By DzIGOR in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 02:17 PM
  4. Domain Names
    By Kowood in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 11:20 AM
  5. can't resolve names from chroot
    By CrashedAgain in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key& picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&

$69.90



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00