Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't get the hdd installer to work

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    EARTH
    Posts
    5

    Can't get the hdd installer to work

    I followed these instructions for the 5.1.1 CD ....

    Open root terminal - hit enter when asked for password
    This worked fine
    Run knoppix-installer
    This too went fine
    Choose option 1 then option 3 to partition before installing
    Option 1 worked OK, but there was NO option 3, nor was there an option to pass up the partitioner, (I already have my partitions on HDb) There were only two choices, 1. run gparted; 2. quit !
    I ran gparted, and when I saved the current configuration on HDb, it exited gparted and went back to the two choices mentioned previously : 1. run gparted; 2. quit . I tried this 5 different times, closing out the terminal window each time, and no go! I'm wondering if Knoppix has to be on the first drive or not.

    Choose Primary partition for Grub
    I was not able to get this far, but I would put Grub on the MBR and chainload the WNDOZ drive (HDa)
    Choose boot partition of second or subsequent multiple OS install
    I'm not sure what is meant here, a little help would be appreciated

    So, now you know what has happened, does anyone have any explanation as to why there is no option 3, and why there is no way to bypass the partitioner.

    Better yet, is there a tutorial that will show me how to install Knoppix to the HDD using the CLI?

    NOTE: edited for spelling error!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Do you have a Solaris or FreeBSD as your primary partition? I dont like gparted and know it doesnt recognise this file systems.
    If you have already created free partitions you should be able to skip the gparted stage altogether.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    EARTH
    Posts
    5
    I don't have Solaris or BSD on any partitions at this time .... I also don't like gparted ..... ........
    I have WNDOZ on the "A" drive (see first post), and I have the "B" drive partitioned into ext3 partitions, in anticipation of putting on a Linux distro. I have an old Beatrix 1005 on hdb1, but since it is not upgradable, I want a fulltime Linux distro on one of the other partitions. I am having to download and burn on the WNDOZ partition until I can get a Linux installed (Beatrix doesn't have cdrecord, etc. on it and there aren't any repositories for it). Thanks for your reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by hal8000
    "I dont like gparted and know it doesnt recognise this file systems.
    If you have already created free partitions you should be able to skip the gparted stage altogether.
    Does this mean that Knoppix doesn't use the ext3 file system? If not, which one does it use?

Similar Threads

  1. Mozilla profiles work for Windows and won't work for Musix
    By ml2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
  2. Knoppix4.0 - knoppix-installer doesn't work properly?
    By boycott in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 01:19 PM
  3. Sudo knoppix-installer doesn't work :-(
    By skara69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 07:39 PM
  4. Need help Please! Installer
    By M$lave in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:04 AM
  5. knx-installer
    By mstromberg in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 01:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$124.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99