Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Samba Nuttiness

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    14

    Samba Nuttiness

    I've been trying to get Samba set up on my HDD-install for a while now, and to be honest, it's pissing me off -- mainly because it doesn't work as advertised in the FAQ or other posts in the forum.

    Here's the setup:

    Knoppix box & WinXP box on the same network (192.168.2.10, 75)
    /etc/samba/smb.conf:
    security = share
    ....
    [myshare]
    Comment = My Share
    path = /home/knoppix (I know, accessible thru Homes, bear with me)
    writeable = yes

    smbpasswd:
    contains entries for both "knoppix" and "draco" (name of the XP box)

    When I try to access this from my WinXP box, I can see everything, but get permission denied errors every time I try to write anything.

    Strangely enough, when I change the above path to /tmp, it works like a charm.

    This seems like an issue with filesystem permissions on the /home/knoppix directory...but I have to admit I don't want to make my home directory world writeable and then share it via Samba. How can I fix this?

    Thanks,
    Alex Kirk

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    Alex,

    I'm not a Samba wiz but I do use it quite a bit in the Security=Domain mode, so I'm not up on Security=Share.

    I took a quick look at the Samba FAQ here and it looks like it is creating a public share, thus your ability to write to /tmp.

    Using Security=Share I believe you must try to access the share using the username/password that has has write access to the directory (knoppix user name with the knoppix user passowrd on the knoppix box).

    So try this: Create an account on your XP box with the same user name and password (knoppix) as you would use to write to the /home/knoppix directory, or map the drive using the knoppix user and password.

    I believe samba is going to look at the /etc/passwd file to make sure the user trying to use the share has the appropriate rights and is a valid user.

    Check this to: http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#SECURITY
    and look at the section on Security=Share. You might want to try changing the security to Security=User.

    Rememebr to restart samba after changes to smb.conf (/etc/init.d/samba restart)

    Hopefully someone with more Samba knowledge can give you better instructions.

    Mike

Similar Threads

  1. samba is gay
    By ghostblaze in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 03:14 AM
  2. Samba and MTU
    By jimbo62 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 03:22 AM
  3. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  4. how to use samba?
    By juan_sck in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
  5. Samba?
    By Tovi in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99