I have a pentium 4 2.6Ghz, 1G ram, 80G (crashed) hard drive, on board video and sound. I have a CD burner and a separate DVD player.
I'm booting knoppix from the DVD drive so I can use the CD burner to try and salvage data.
here is my problem: no matter what boot mode, or cheat codes I use, (following the tips and tricks in cheat codes) I can get to the desktop (a picture of mountains). At the bottom of the screen I see what appears to be a toolbar. When the mouse is working I can scroll to the far left and get a hand. Eventually the whole thing freezes up and I never get the entire desktop or any functionality.
Does knoppix try to load from the hard drive? If so is it possible to boot without use of the hard drive? Could this be a bad CD burn? (I did have a bad one and went back and read the FAQ and reburned it at the slowest possible speed using NERO.) I downloaded using bittorent and checked the MD5 using quickpar. Everything appears kosher as far as that goes.
Thanks for any help,
Stuck in the mountains.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99