Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Need to use USB drive for more space for knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2

    Need to use USB drive for more space for knoppix

    Greetings all,
    I am not sure really where this belongs, laptop, hardware, where?????? Basically what I did is install Knoppix to a 2.5 gig partition I created on my Sony laptop with XP on it. All works well except that I can do very little in the way of adding applications and performing updates because df -k shows I fill up the / during the apt-get update operation and i can not even do that. I have a 60gig USB drive that I have setup and is mounted as /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 , so all is well with that. What I want to do is get Knoppix to be able to do stuff it needs to do that is filling up the / on the main hdd (/dev/hda3) with the external drive instead. Possible ???? I am sure that it is but I just do not know how. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Possibly not, I think you need to reserve more space for your / partition, in the order of 4G or higher. Another way is to install
    a smaller lightweight window manager like xfce4 or window maker and uninstall kde to make more space. However, you may get more answers, so I'd wait a while longer.

Similar Threads

  1. How much disk space do I need for Knoppix installation?
    By paparazzo79 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:03 PM
  2. Knoppix Free Space using Partimage
    By hroush in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
  3. Encrpyiotn with Knoppix (Kernel and/or User Space)
    By ChaosKCW in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
  4. Knoppix accessing HDD for swap space??
    By Li Gwai Lo in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 11:52 PM
  5. USB Thumb drive as swap space?
    By iconfly in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook 165 M4440 with Charger - Turns On picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook 165 M4440 with Charger - Turns On

$85.00



WINDOWS Microsoft

WINDOWS Microsoft "Vintage Style" Computer Keyboard/ #5181

$27.97



Dow Jones Market Analyzer Vintage Software - Macintosh - Factory Sealed picture

Dow Jones Market Analyzer Vintage Software - Macintosh - Factory Sealed

$37.99



Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E picture

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E

$139.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$164.95



ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working picture

ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working

$74.99



Vintage Apple iBook Clamshell Graphite 466MHz 60GB HD 128 Ram OS 9 & 10 picture

Vintage Apple iBook Clamshell Graphite 466MHz 60GB HD 128 Ram OS 9 & 10

$350.00



RARE ISA Video Card, S3 P86C928, 2MB (Diamond Stealth Pro) Vintage, Working picture

RARE ISA Video Card, S3 P86C928, 2MB (Diamond Stealth Pro) Vintage, Working

$179.99



Vintage AT&T 6312 WGS COMPUTER 386 POWERS ON & Complete picture

Vintage AT&T 6312 WGS COMPUTER 386 POWERS ON & Complete

$249.95



Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Disks Box

$100.00