Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Need to use USB drive for more space for knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2

    Need to use USB drive for more space for knoppix

    Greetings all,
    I am not sure really where this belongs, laptop, hardware, where?????? Basically what I did is install Knoppix to a 2.5 gig partition I created on my Sony laptop with XP on it. All works well except that I can do very little in the way of adding applications and performing updates because df -k shows I fill up the / during the apt-get update operation and i can not even do that. I have a 60gig USB drive that I have setup and is mounted as /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 , so all is well with that. What I want to do is get Knoppix to be able to do stuff it needs to do that is filling up the / on the main hdd (/dev/hda3) with the external drive instead. Possible ???? I am sure that it is but I just do not know how. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Possibly not, I think you need to reserve more space for your / partition, in the order of 4G or higher. Another way is to install
    a smaller lightweight window manager like xfce4 or window maker and uninstall kde to make more space. However, you may get more answers, so I'd wait a while longer.

Similar Threads

  1. How much disk space do I need for Knoppix installation?
    By paparazzo79 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:03 PM
  2. Knoppix Free Space using Partimage
    By hroush in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
  3. Encrpyiotn with Knoppix (Kernel and/or User Space)
    By ChaosKCW in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
  4. Knoppix accessing HDD for swap space??
    By Li Gwai Lo in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 11:52 PM
  5. USB Thumb drive as swap space?
    By iconfly in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz picture

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz

$87.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$159.95



Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A picture

Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A

$299.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



32GB Kit (2x16GB) - 16GB DDR-4 3200AA MHz SO-DIMM Micron MTA8ATF2G64HZ-3G2F1 picture

32GB Kit (2x16GB) - 16GB DDR-4 3200AA MHz SO-DIMM Micron MTA8ATF2G64HZ-3G2F1

$129.00



Advantech/Samsung 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM RAM AQD-D4U8GE24-SE DDR4 EUDIMM picture

Advantech/Samsung 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM RAM AQD-D4U8GE24-SE DDR4 EUDIMM

$85.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99