Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Need to use USB drive for more space for knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2

    Need to use USB drive for more space for knoppix

    Greetings all,
    I am not sure really where this belongs, laptop, hardware, where?????? Basically what I did is install Knoppix to a 2.5 gig partition I created on my Sony laptop with XP on it. All works well except that I can do very little in the way of adding applications and performing updates because df -k shows I fill up the / during the apt-get update operation and i can not even do that. I have a 60gig USB drive that I have setup and is mounted as /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 , so all is well with that. What I want to do is get Knoppix to be able to do stuff it needs to do that is filling up the / on the main hdd (/dev/hda3) with the external drive instead. Possible ???? I am sure that it is but I just do not know how. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Possibly not, I think you need to reserve more space for your / partition, in the order of 4G or higher. Another way is to install
    a smaller lightweight window manager like xfce4 or window maker and uninstall kde to make more space. However, you may get more answers, so I'd wait a while longer.

Similar Threads

  1. How much disk space do I need for Knoppix installation?
    By paparazzo79 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:03 PM
  2. Knoppix Free Space using Partimage
    By hroush in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
  3. Encrpyiotn with Knoppix (Kernel and/or User Space)
    By ChaosKCW in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
  4. Knoppix accessing HDD for swap space??
    By Li Gwai Lo in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 11:52 PM
  5. USB Thumb drive as swap space?
    By iconfly in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module picture

Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module

$649.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



CISCO ISR4331/K9 V04 Integrated Services Router -Sealed Box picture

CISCO ISR4331/K9 V04 Integrated Services Router -Sealed Box

$332.49