Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: read-only and permissions errors

  1. #1

    read-only and permissions errors

    The PC that is currently running Knoppix is an older one that had some kind of mysterious crash that made it stall out at the Windows XP load screen for awhile and then reboot itself in an endless cycle. I'm planning on wiping the main hard drive to install something else entirely, but that's not the point right now. The point is that I had a mysterious malfunction on another Windows machine, and in preparation for a reinstall I'd like to move some files over to a spare drive on the Knoppix machine for the time being.

    I already had FTP server software on the working Windows machine, so I started it up and tried to move files. But I keep getting errors saying that the drive I want to move it to, a hard drive mounted on the Knoppix system, is read-only. I checked the file permissions for the drive, and they say that anyone can read or write to the drive. But when I try to save these permissions, it gives me another error, "could not change permissions".

    I experimented a bit, and it appears that ALL local hard drives are read-only. I'd really rather this wasn't the case.

    I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    53
    All hard drives are by default read only in Knoppix. Select the drive, right click for properties, select the device tab and uncheck the read only check box. Permissions tab means nothing unless this is unchecked.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by nnigam
    All hard drives are by default read only in Knoppix. Select the drive, right click for properties, select the device tab and uncheck the read only check box. Permissions tab means nothing unless this is unchecked.
    By "Select the drive", he means to use your Right hand mouse button to click on the Desktop Icon for the chosen drive.

Similar Threads

  1. apt-get\dpkg read from text file errors
    By MaldiGola in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
  2. "You do not have enough permissions to read etc/lilo.cn
    By HDRW-Smee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 07:35 PM
  3. Read Write Permissions for HDs from Live CD
    By Curious Dave in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:25 AM
  4. /etc/ read-only errors on remastered boot
    By DunkyB in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
  5. 3.4 5-17-04, lots of cloop read errors.
    By tdb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



UniFi UCG Ultra Gateway Max picture

UniFi UCG Ultra Gateway Max

$200.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Protectli Vault FW4C 4 Port Firewall Mini PC 8GB 120GB SSD picture

Protectli Vault FW4C 4 Port Firewall Mini PC 8GB 120GB SSD

$300.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99