Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Preparing External USB Hard Drive...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10

    Preparing External USB Hard Drive...

    Hello everyone... I recently had problems uprading my Ubuntu, and now I need to recover some things. Here's a list of what I need to recover:

    1. Thunderbird email
    2. Firefox bookmarks
    3. Directories / Folders that have ALL of my data in them.


    I have a 40GB Hard Drive that I took out of an old machine. I put the Hard Drive into a USB HDD Enclosure. I connected the usb cable to my laptop and then booted using knoppix 4.0. I ran QTparted and it seems that the drive has 3 Partitions. Here's how it is listed in QTparted:

    01 /UNIONFS/dev/sdb1 fat16 54.88MB

    02 /UNIONFS/dev/sdb2 ntfs Active 37.20GB

    03 /UNIONFS/dev/sdb-1 free 1.03GB


    Now for my ?'s.

    1. Can I just copy my data to the External drive without doing any partitioning or formatting? Once my Ubuntu is back up and running, will I be able to just simply copy them back?

    2. How can I delete everything on this External drive, and use it like a regular "thumb / flash" drive?


    Thanks for all your help...

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Preparing External USB Hard Drive...

    Quote Originally Posted by tycopolis
    1. Can I just copy my data to the External drive without doing any partitioning or formatting? Once my Ubuntu is back up and running, will I be able to just simply copy them back?
    You should be able to copy files to the FAT partition just fine. Make sure that you mount it as read/write, not the default read-only. I would caution against using the NTFS partition. If you need more space than the FAT partition provides and you don't need what's currently on the NTFS partition, considering repartitioning it and formating it as FAT also.

    Quote Originally Posted by tycopolis
    2. How can I delete everything on this External drive, and use it like a regular "thumb / flash" drive?
    This is just a partitioning and formatting question. Use whatever partitioning tool that you are comfortable with (for me that's Ranish but I think I'm in a manority there). Figure out how you want the drive partitioned, make the partitions, format them (some tools like Ranish do this in the partition operation, other like Microsoft require a seperate format step). I would suggest saving this for later, recover your data first.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10
    Thanks Harry for the quick reply. I need the space that's on the ntfs partition. I guess what I really need is instructions on how to completely "erase/slick" this External drive using the software provided by knoppix 4.0. I would make it just 1 large partition for storage. Should that partition be FAT,EXT3? Should I just make it a FAT32?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10
    Ok... QTparted worked.... ... I right clicked on the ntfs partition and chose "Erase & Format" It then gave me the option to make it FAT32, and I did. I thought that it would take it some time to complete, but it was done in like 2 seconds. What a great piece of software!!! Thanks again Harry for helping me. G-d bless...

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix and a external hard drive
    By ronhonda in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
  2. Install to external hard drive
    By Jamsh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 08:57 PM
  3. Can I run Knopix from external USB hard drive?
    By photo312 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM
  4. Booting from external USB hard drive
    By mbl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:17 PM
  5. External Hard Drive question
    By Phatmonkey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key& picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&

$69.90



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99