Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Backing up Firefox & Thunderbird

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10

    Backing up Firefox & Thunderbird

    I'm trying to retrieve some data and need some help. Basically, I can't find my mail for Thunderbird and Evolution.

    When I mount the HDD. I see these dir's.

    bin
    boot
    cdrom
    dev
    etc
    home
    ...

    These locations do not seem to exist: /home/YourUserName/.mozilla-thunderbird and /home/YourUserName/.mozilla

    When I go into etc, the mozilla-thunderbird dir has 4 items in it. 3 files and 1 dir called pref that has nothing in it. The 3 files are:

    auto-config.js
    global-config.js
    global-config.js.dpkg-new


    The last 2 files are the same size (923 B). auto-config.js is (228 B)

    The Firefox dir seems ok. That just has text, and all I need are the bookmarks.

    I have no clue as to where the Evolution dir is. I do not see a dir for evolution.

    I believe that my mail is stored somewhere else on the drive. There is a folder called "root", but I believe that is different from /.

    How do I get to "/"on the HDD using knoppix? I think that my mail for Thunderbird and Evolution is deeper inside the file system.

    Thanks...

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10
    I just looked at another box, and I am at "/". The / dir has the "root" directory inside of it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    What are you searching your directories with - a file manager such as Konqueror, or a command-line console ?
    In e.g.Konqueror check Show Hidden Files in the View menu.
    In a console
    Code:
     ls  /home/<whatever-is-tycopolis-user-name>/.mozilla-thunderbird/knoppix/Mail
    should show your mail folders.
    N.B. The mail files contained will not be in filename.eml format, and could be very large; you would need to copy them into the corresponding location of a working Thunderbird system for convenient rendering.
    Don't know the specific details for Evolution as I don't use it

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 04:25 PM
  2. Apt-get Thunderbird 1.0-3...was ist los?
    By chada in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 08:52 AM
  3. backing up the MBR
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 01:44 PM
  4. FireFox & ThunderBird a must!
    By Hunkah in forum Ideas
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 08:15 PM
  5. backing everything up
    By UselessPython in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 01:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99